• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

PCM difference between 96 and 97??

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]ITEM

[/TD]

[TD]RESULT

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]P/N[/TD]

[TD]05012993 AB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EMMIS[/TD]

[TD]FED[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CHASSIS[/TD]

[TD]RWD-HD-AT[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ASPIRATION[/TD]

[TD]TRBDSL[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]INJECTION[/TD]

[TD]DI[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FUEL[/TD]

[TD]DIESEL[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]YEAR[/TD]

[TD]97[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ENGINE[/TD]

[TD]5.9L I6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FAN[/TD]

[TD]None[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HARDWARE[/TD]

[TD]JTEC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BODY[/TD]

[TD]BR[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TRANS[/TD]

[TD]4-A/T[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

From my understanding after talking to JR's trans guy, the PCM for a 2wd is different than a 4wd.

I don't know 100%, so I can only go on what I'm told. Using the MODIS, we found the charted info here..

I wonder if the parts dept at the dealership would be able to decipher the difference?

Maybe. However, looking at the wiring diagrams, there's no difference in wiring at pcm of 4wd or whatever.. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I dont really have any good advice (as usual) but if it were my truck I would probably go through the other things Dean wanted you to look at with the OD switch and whatever else, if after that its still not right I would probably swap the pcm. If youve been through everything else..... Ive always had faith in him and hes never led me astray, but with that being said he also had my truck in front of him not on the other end of a phone several hundred miles away....thats a game changer...If you dont mind me asking, whats the going rate on a used pcm?

I just don't see how the pcm can be 2 or 4wd specific but I don't know. I don't want to put a pcm in it if it isn't needed. I didn't get a chance to work on any wiring or lights today but will try to do so asap.

I'm not negating anything he's told me, I'm just trying to understand the 'why' of it.

Sent from my rooted and Android-ROM'd HP Touchpad (CM9)

- - - Updated - - -

Michael, do you know (or anyone else know) if there's a difference in harnesses for the 96 and 97?

Basically, are all 96's 47RE autos, or were there 47RH? Doesn't the RH NOT have the 8 pin round plug?

According to my Dodge Ram Registry I have which lists all changes from every model year, 95 was the last year of the RH trans. In 96 they bumped horsepower ratings up to 180 HP and went to the RE trans. Logically thinking, the plug would have to be different because one is electronically controlled and one is not, but I dont have anything to confirm that...

• Like 1