• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Disc brake pads

Hello everyone, Just trying to see how many monthes your getting out of your disc brake pads. I put new calipers and pads on in March of 09 and now I have to do it again! I guess when your trying to stop a 7400lb truck it goes thru them! It doesn't help that I live in an area that has a ton of hills, valleys, and curves!

• Owner

159K miles and still running factory brake pads... No joke! :eek: Exhaust brakes do there job and save the brake pads quite a bit... Even worse I'll do my first brake job at roughly 200K miles and 10 years old! :wow: I drag trailers and haul heavy... Every year I haul about 12-15 cords of firewood down from the mountains at a elevation of 7K to 8K feet...

You have an auto so I would expect a little more brake wear. I assume it acts like it's in neutral when you let off to slow down for a stoplight, instead of staying locked and dragging you down like a manual does. Not sure if yours is like that or not, never drove an auto cummins. I always leave it in 4th gear and let off and that will get me down to 25mph, then I hit the brakes. Never changed a brake pad on mine, had it for 70k now.

Edited by ISX

Wow...that's a lot of brake wear. It sounds like something is really wrong. I do nothing but winding mountain roads and city driving with 2000 pounds of tools and equipment in the back of my truck. I changed the pads 2 years ago and they still look like new. Maybe your rotors are tearing up the pads?

I put new calipers on it last March. The pads looked even in their wear. Changed out the brake fluid when I put new calipers on. Where I live it is a 8% grade to the bottom of the hill, about 2 1/2 miles. Don't even give it any fuel until I get to the stop sign! Without braking in that distance I can get up to 60 mph! Most of my trips are only 15 miles round trip, so lots of stop and go. I don't think there is anything wrong with the truck, its just my particular circumstances. :confused:

Wow! It sounds like we live in nearly the same place. My town is at the top of a mountain in the Berkshires (think Norman Rockwell). It's about 12 miles of almost all down hill to get out of the mountains. The last stretch (about 1 1/2 miles) is the only really straight part and is steep enough to have a run-away truck ramp. Strange. I'm not sure why my brakes hold up better than yours. I have a contractors cap and always have at least 2000 pounds in it. Sounds like you have replaced everything. I'm stumped.

well one time in a crunch i bought the 8.99 from autozone. they typically have 3 tiers, and this is the lowest. they seemed to wear quicker, but i was towing heavy with no trailer brakes or jake. the kicker was there is no "squeaker" on the inner pad...before i knew it the rotor was unturnable!