• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dead pedal (no codes)????????

Fuel pressure is up around 20 at idle, drops to 15-16 when I get on it. No codes though. I did have a 0216 code from when my lift pump went out over a year ago but it cleared and has never came back. No codes at all? It stopped doing it for awhile but started doing it again. After I shut it off and start it again (sometimes more than once) its fine. Any suggestions on where to start without codes. Ive searched the forum , alot of dead pedal issues but they have codes.

When you try the key trick what does it display? Will it attempt to retrieve codes?What exactly is it doing when you get the dead pedal? When mine was acting up I would start it, it would have no power and wanted to stall when pulling off if I was not really careful. Had no acceleration and would not go over 30 mph with the pedal to the floor. At higher rpm it would blow a cloud of white smoke. It was just starving for fuel. If I went ahead a changed mine out before it put me down.

Alright guys, I noticed if I dont let it sit for a bit and warm up the tendancy for it to have the dead pedal is more likley? I am going to have my mechanic try and pull codes again. He uses a Snap-On scanner and is sure if it is throwing codes it will retrieve them. Im going on a little trip with it today to take awelding test and Ill be back this afternoon, Ill have him try again. I tried to get them with the key trick and got nothing agin yesterday and am positive there is no white smoke at all.

Well that sounds exactly like what my truck was doing. And at first it was happening very little. I emptied the fuel/water separator and it did not do it for a while, most likely a coincidence. The white smoke started after awhile and only happened when i experienced the dead pedal. When i would give it throttle it would blow white smoke. I put a new VP and LP on it and have not had any problems since! It is like a new truck. Better mpgs and better passing power. Not to say it turned it into a hot rod, it just regained what it had lost.

• Owner
Hidden

Typically there is a lost of power once you start seeing the white smoke. This is a sign of retarded timing and typically there is a P0216 code right behind it coming soon. I had the same thing with my truck at 48K miles and took it back t othe dealer and they installed a lift pump. The dealer wanted to install a VP44 but since there was no signs of issues they wouldn't. So 2K miles later the smoke got worse and POP the P0216 code came.

• Owner

Typically there is a lost of power once you start seeing the white smoke. This is a sign of retarded timing and typically there is a P0216 code right behind it coming soon. I had the same thing with my truck at 48K miles and took it back t othe dealer and they installed a lift pump. The dealer wanted to install a VP44 but since there was no signs of issues they wouldn't. So 2K miles later the smoke got worse and POP the P0216 code came. So a new injection pump was installed.

Well, Im gonna be working close to home for a bit so Im just gonna see what happens, my fuel pressure is about 19-20 idle 14-15 WOT and still have not seen white smoke. If it goes, it goes most all of you have been there, so I guess my turn is comeing around LOL. I guess it is what it is when it comes to the VP44.

• 1 month later...

well it happened 300 miles from home LOL, The VP$$ died. I bought a new one from 2nd wind performance in Casper for $1100 and had Jay Moore at Moores Heavy Equipment install it for $400. hope it runs for awhile before doing that again. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

That stinks it happened so far from home! At least youve got the problem behind you now.Hey, maybe I missed it but I dont remember seeing any pics of your truck with those fancy schmancy Alcoas you were posting about a while back. Come on man, dont be holding out!! :hyper: