• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tranny rebuild?

Ok guys starting to save up for the inevitable tranny rebuild just wondering what all of your recommend. Myi signature is accurate except for the new air dog. I tow a 10k toy hauler and I plan on installing rv275 s and a new turbo soon. So what brand/ build do all of you recommend? Thanks

My 01 is over 12000lbs all the time, it is a pipeline welding rig so I never unload it. I just had the trans rebuilt by western trans in Idaho Falls Id. I really didnt have anything wrong with mine but it has 136000 on it and I am in very rual areas and just decided it was time just in case. I could of went with the ats or bdi and spent alot more but I take care of my trans and change the oil (pan service) every other oil change. I had them go completely through it and do a shift kit, and other valve body work, tripple disk convertor and heaver OD springs and all new coponents. I spent $3000 instead of $6000 but I did not need a trans that could handle 1000hp. I dont drive the truck like a camaro, I have a 69 swb chevy that I can hot rod. So I didnt have a billet shaft put in it but again I dont drive it hard. I think it all has to do in how you drive it what you tow and how well you take care of it. My uncles 01 went 250k on the stock 47re . Im plenty happy with mine, it shifts right now, no slipping into next gear and the TC locks right up and does not lock and unlock all the time as they do stock. I am real happy with mine and it didnt cost $6000

Right on, that's good to hear. I take good care of my truck and I don't drive it like a high school kid. The trans is not doing anything weird yet but I do want to prevent anything from happening. Tranny has never been rebuilt (220k mi) and I recently got the toy hauler and been adding power upgrades so I'm just trying to figure out what to do and what vendors to go through. Anyone know of any good tranny shops near ventura ca?

I'm not by any means a pro when it comes to coming to excellent tranny rebuild advice. Although there are certain things that I would do if I could do it over again. Take my advice for what its worth and I'm sure I will also be corrected for it as well, but thats okay. As long as we are able to give you good sound advice.For a rebuild with some upgrades that you are pursuing, I would get a triple disk torque converter. Revmax has seemed to gain a good reputation in their TC for these trucks. They are easier on your wallet, and I have yet to see any negative comments about them.valve body upgrade would be a good idea. Seems like the most popular one is called the transgo shiftkit. I dunno what kind of valve body was put in mine when I got it rebuilt, but the owner stressed to the fact that it would increase line pressure by revving the engine higher before shifting. If you do the tow/haul, that will be something desirable to have.Get the chevy/gmc solenoid mod for your 2nd gear shift. Not sure exactly about what all the billet parts you should have for a milder build, but it seems th consensus is the input shaft and flexplate.Any chance you can get to get any increase in clutch surface area and clutch count is also another good idea. ATS does change the design to allow for such things. Other tranny shops may also do the same thing.Get a deeper trans pan. More fluid, the cooler it will run.IF you have the time and resources, teach yourself to rebuild it instead of sending it out. It will save you gobbs of cash and can allow for more upgrades. It may be a learning curve, but when you get done you will have deeper understanding of things and could troubleshoot things better down the road.

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at goerend, dtt and sun coast. I have thought about doing the rebuild myself (dtt master rebuild stage 2 kit) I just want to make sure I get the correct parts for my build. So does everyone agree that the triple disc tc is the way to go for dd/ tow rig?

Another vote here for Goerend. Had them ship the parts to a local shop to do the build. Did the triple disc TC, billet input and flex plate too. They were recommended because I tow a 12k lb fifth wheel and have an exhaust brake.They work great together. Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk HD

Any of the big builders would do well. Goerand revmax ats dtt .Some smaller but equally if not better include firepunk, tre diesel and garmon. Make sure you go billet input with a 3x disk or drop your lockup pressure for smoother lockup. I'd do garmon probably but whichever was physically closest to you. .