• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

wiring question

I have the chance to pick up an AirDog 100 with the twin filter set up for CHEAP. The short story on it is the guy was having problems with his truck running so he took it in to a shop and they told him his AirDog was junk. didn't have a fuel pressure gauge so had no idea what kind of fuel pressure he had and told the shop to change it out. Well didn't cure his problem so he wound up with what he says is a Perfectly Good spare pump. I told him I would be interested in it if I could bring it home and verify it does run. So I've got it in my vice at the moment ( I do not want to go through the hassle of installing it on the truck with out knowing it runs). The question I have is this. There are 2 wires coming out of the pump. I assume the red is positive and green is ground? Also on the regulator there are 2 posts, one marked "G" and one marked "M". Does the regulator need to be grounded as well? And the "M" ImI'm guessing is supposed to be an ignition source but I should be able to put 12. Volts to it and the pump should run. Am I on the right track here? The guy who owns it kknows nothing about it so II'm kinda winging it. Thanks for any help!

- - - Updated - - -

Well I tried to wire the pump up like I described/asked up above and no dice. So looks like Im going to be dropping the pump back off to the owner tomorrow. Real bummer because my Raptor gave me a real scare the other day and I ddon't have a lot of faith in it now. So now to decide what to do, wait until it craps out on me and keep my OEM carter with me at all times so I can swap it out real quick if need be, spend big bucks on another electric jobber that has a not so great reputation lately, or take the plunge on a mechanical pump....:sick: I hate these kind of choices!

• Owner

Hold on a sec.You need the rest of the wiring for it. There should be a full wiring harness, relay, fuse, connector for the stock lift pump and 2 ring terminals. (battery power). As for the other device that's not a regulator its a low pressure switch or a gauge sensor most likely. Because there is no electrical control regulation its all done with hardware internally.Whitelightning is right just hook it up to the power leads of the truck and bucket test it from bucket to bucket to see if it works. But this is open line testing and the only way to see if its up to the challenge is hooking it fully up and seeing if it will hold pressure under full load on the highway at 55-70 MPH with you foot planted to the floor. Now your testing a pump! So many times I hear about the bucket test and this is meaningless just like the volume test Dodge did with the Carter stock lift pumps. Still a junk test. The only try way to test a pump is put it under full load. Even fire truck volume testing is done under full load. We never do we test a fire pump will a open port its just meaningless...

You first step should be to visit the Airdog web site and look for the tech/support section and review/download/read the install and operating instructions for that model pump. I don't think your friend would appreciate you wasting his pump (assuming it was good). Once you understand how it's suppose to be wired up, then you can do the "bucket of diesel fuel" test. The web has a wealth of information at our finger tips. Hope this helps.

Hmm, apparently I'm missing some wires then. There's only 2 wires coming from the pump a red and green wire. No plug or connection. So thats what Im wondering from those that have them, what each wire does. What else am I missing? As for hooking it to the truck, I planned on doing that if I can get it to pump fuel from a bucket. My truck isn't plumbed for this style of a pump so no sense in hacking my plumbing apart to find out the pump really is burned up. I assumed the red being positive and green being ground I should at least be able to get the pump to run.

- - - Updated - - -

You first step should be to visit the Airdog web site and look for the tech/support section and review/download/read the install and operating instructions for that model pump. I don't think your friend would appreciate you wasting his pump (assuming it was good). Once you understand how it's suppose to be wired up, then you can do the "bucket of diesel fuel" test. The web has a wealth of information at our finger tips. Hope this helps.

I don't plan on burning anything up.

The pump new would have come with a wiring harness and the pump wiring should have had a connector made onto it. Sounds like someone cut it loose from the harness. Like mentioned above, you can go to AD's site and down load the instruction manual. When I installed mine, everything had connectors that just plugged together.