• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd Gen 24 valve newbie questions

Hey guys, I didnt want to clog up my intro thread with my questions. Just want to get some clarification as this is my first Cummins. 1. My radiator is about half full of what looks like green coolant. Obviously I need to add more but can I just add green coolant from the parts store? Supposedly some the the Auto Zone coolants have the Cummins logo on the bottle, I will have to check. 2. I need to change my fuel filter, looks like it is on the drivers side of the engine correct? Does that cap unscrew and the filter just pull out? 3. Where can I find a fuse diagram as well as a wiring diagram. My fan for the climate control does not work, no matter what speed I turn to nothing happens. 4. It looks like I am leaking a little fluid between the transmission and the transfer case. How hard is it to pull the transfer case out so I can replace the transmission output shaft seal? Thanks again guys. FYI, my truck is a 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 24v 6 speed manual 4x4. I have pics of it in my intro thread :thumbup2:

Hey guys, I didnt want to clog up my intro thread with my questions. Just want to get some clarification as this is my first Cummins. 1. My radiator is about half full of what looks like green coolant. Obviously I need to add more but can I just add green coolant from the parts store? Supposedly some the the Auto Zone coolants have the Cummins logo on the bottle, I will have to check. 2. I need to change my fuel filter, looks like it is on the drivers side of the engine correct? Does that cap unscrew and the filter just pull out? 3. Where can I find a fuse diagram as well as a wiring diagram. My fan for the climate control does not work, no matter what speed I turn to nothing happens. 4. It looks like I am leaking a little fluid between the transmission and the transfer case. How hard is it to pull the transfer case out so I can replace the transmission output shaft seal? Thanks again guys. FYI, my truck is a 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 24v 6 speed manual 4x4. I have pics of it in my intro thread :thumbup2:

1. I use the green good for all form wally world. I am sure there will be other opinions. 2. Yes . that is the oe filter canister and you just unscrew, pull out the filter and replace. Bump the starter(no engine start)afterwards and the lift pump will pump fuel back into the canister. Some folks loosen the cap during this to let the air out. I personally have never done that. Do you know whether you have the oe lift pump or an aftermarket of some kind? The od pump is on the block just to the rear of the filter canister and you should hear it running after bumping the starter. 3. Mike has the wiring diagrams and such in the articles section. You have to cross a threshold with posting here to be able to down load them. Someone will come along a tell you what that threshold is. There is a resistor on the bottom of the hvac box that controls the fan speed, but i believe if that goes out the fan will only run on one speed. 4. It is not that difficult, but can be time consuming if you have never done it before. I replaced my 6 speed a while back. That was my first time and it went very well. I also had plenty of help. It still took me 2.5 days working in the driveway. I replace my seals and I keep thinking i had to take something else off to get to the seal. Cant remember. There are some other folks more knowledgeable than me that will speak up on that one.

Thanks for the help so far :thumbup2: The previous owner said he installed a Fass lift pump. Anyway I can tell for sure?

If it's a direct replacement FASS, look just below and to the rear of the fuel filter housing and you should find your pump. If it's a FASS 95 or FASS 150, look on the frame rail for the pump, and it should have a set of filters.

• Owner

Hey guys, I didnt want to clog up my intro thread with my questions. Just want to get some clarification as this is my first Cummins. 1. My radiator is about half full of what looks like green coolant. Obviously I need to add more but can I just add green coolant from the parts store? Supposedly some the the Auto Zone coolants have the Cummins logo on the bottle, I will have to check.

I use standard old green or yellow coolant from NAPA or WalMart. Nothing special is needed just make sure to keep the coolant change at 30K miles or 36 months. If you don't you'll be changing head gaskets and heater cores.

2. I need to change my fuel filter, looks like it is on the drivers side of the engine correct? Does that cap unscrew and the filter just pull out?

Typically you just unscrew the lid and the filter comes out in the lid. Unsnap and snap in a new one. If you want you can refill the filter housing with can fuel so not to make a mess on the shop floor or driveway.

3. Where can I find a fuse diagram as well as a wiring diagram. My fan for the climate control does not work, no matter what speed I turn to nothing happens.

I've got a wiring diagram on the site in the download area. I'll flip your access on for ya in the morning I'm really tired tonight.

4. It looks like I am leaking a little fluid between the transmission and the transfer case. How hard is it to pull the transfer case out so I can replace the transmission output shaft seal? Thanks again guys. FYI, my truck is a 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 24v 6 speed manual 4x4. I have pics of it in my intro thread :thumbup2:

As for the transfer case seal. I've never done one yet. So I can't help you on that one.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...