• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Bags

I'd say if you put more air in the heavier side it would fix it right up. Maybe I am thinking of it wrong but I see air bags as a means to get the load back into the range of the springs ratings. So the airbag takes some of the load and now you are back to the same ride as before, therefore, I think the one side having more air in it would work. I would park somewhere level and get the heavy side where you want it, then measure and make the light side the same height from bed to ground.

You can get the bags with individual shrader valves to fill each one up, in fact, those are most certainly cheaper. However, they put the valve right on the side which is a PITA since you have to get up under there, so most people run a little air hose from there to somewhere convenient.

post-45-138698162506_thumb.gif

Edited by ISX

Have you looked at or thought about the Timbrens instead of airbags? Airbags with 2 different pressures can be a dangerous combo.

I don't see it as being dangerous since the truck would be equally loaded as per what the springs see. It would ride level and would go over bumps equally. I think those Timbrens would just raise the problem up a few inches, but still have the problem. The light side would have the same Timbren as the other, therefore it would sit higher and he would still be leaning to one side.

Timbrens do not lift anything it is merely a long compressable bumpstop. Air bags need to work together, If you air one up harder than another to adjust the leaning to one side it will thus be harder and cause ride issues not to mention the weight transfer it could cause in corners. Air bags are not meant to level one side or another they are meant to help hold up the rear as a whole and work in unison. If he has one side heavier than the other the timbrens or similar setup would be the easiest and cheapers route to go. After rereading his vehicle description, If the rig sees the welder permanently mounted to one side the best solution is to re arch the springs and/or add an extra leaf to the rear leaf spring pack. He may also want to look at getting heavier front coil springs like the factory snow plow package springs ending part # 988 AA "If its 4X4" because I would bet being its a flatbed rig the front springs are adding to the lean also.

Edited by Wild and Free

hold the phone...my mom had a late 90's lincoln towncar, with airbags. when the key was on...the bags would set the level.her husband is a big guy...maybe 300# and if he got in by himself the car was sitting "catawopass". after running for 30sec the whole car was level...front to back, side to side.it froze to hell here...could not leave the house for 3 days. when she started driving again...the back bags were shot...i suspect moisture from the compressor was in the bag before it broke.tractor-trailers use air bags all day long...for them to use them, they must be reliable and safe(and cheaper over the long haul)

Kind of wonder if the the 2 airbags are tee'd together or separate? If there a kit that tees together then I kind of doubt it will do much. But like ISX is thinking with seperated airbags you could tune the stance.

the ford ambulance my buddy had they were teed together along the rear crossmember. honestly i think redistributing the weight is a safer solution. cause I just foresee a big chance for rolling that sucker on a corner.