• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A memorial day idea?

hex0rz

So two houses down, one of our neighbors is a WWII vet. I was hoping to do something special for him. MY thought was to put flyers on peoples doors on our surrounding blocks to make them aware of what kind of person is around them. If they feel they want to honor him, they stake those little wooden flags in his yard.He is definitely an old boy and unfortunately on his way out... I want to make some sort of lasting impression on him that shows that there are still people in this world that are grateful for his service!Also, how more cool is that, that a WWII vet lives two house down from me! :thumb1:As for a personal gift, we were gonna get him a flag and card from me and the wife.

Eh, this is not praiseworthy. The man who served, he is praiseworthy... :USflag: As/if this has more development, I will be sure to keep this updated for the outcome from this...

Hex, as a veteran, I disagree. Maybe you aren't after personal praise, but you also deserve praise for recognizing the veteran. Even simple "thank you for your service" statements I get (very few, by the way) , combined with a handshake, mean a lot to me. There are far too many soldiers that we'll never get the opportunity to shake their hand and/or thank them. Not meaning to derail your thread, but this kinda brings up a point of concern I've had this week.. There's a woman I work with at my 9-5er, who is a hoot and a half. She's very nice, caring, and will do just about anything you ask of her. I own my own business (www.playtimerental.com). Last weekend I delivered to a residence in a neighboring town. A friend was helping me, who is also a veteran (I'm Armor, he's Cavalry, so we pick on each other all the time :) ). Pulling up to the residence, we see the car has a state-issued Bronze Star license plate. The resident meets up out front, and shows us where he wants it set up. We finished up, and started to head out, when Tex and I shook his hand, and thanked him for his service. He was quite appreciative, and thanked us for ours. Fast forward to this week.. The nice, awesome woman at work asked me "Did you deliver to [town] last weekend?" "yes, a couple. why?" "To [address]?" "yep" "That's my ex. don't deliver to him ever again." I was shocked. I said "your ex has a Bronze Star." "Pfft. For doing nothing. I don't know why they gave it to him. He doesn't deserve it." Sorry, but they Army doesn't give the 5th-highest combat decoration out like Skittles. The USAF had some heat from "awarding" them to non-combat positions, but has since been put in check for that. I guess my point is that yes, she can be bitter towards him as an ex-husband, but his military history and awards should be respected in another light. The two are un-related. Long story short, hex, is I think what you're wanting to do is great, and I appreciate it.
  • Like 2

I occassionally see vets in the store with their hats on. Mostly vietnam'ers. I always wonder if I did thank them and shook their hand, what their reaction would be like. I usually stop myself, because I get the feeling they would kinda scold me for it... I know it sounds weird, but thats how I get to feeling. :shrug:I have a couple things in my way to get this going, but hopefully I can address the situation today.1. Because he is not doing so well anymore, a lady friend of his comes over and stays with him. I think she is his girlfriend. You know how them older people get! :lol: I think I'm gonna present the idea to her and see what she thinks.2. Gotta get a flyer composed. I do not have word on this computer and I would like it to be somewhat formal. I'm gonna ask the lady if she can get me a picture of him in his time during service.So heres my idea:- Why the purpose of the flyer- What the idea is- Who its directed to- Where to do it- When to do itHahaha, I just realized I did the 5 w's...I'll probably have to go to kinkos to do this, unless someone can help me? I obviously need to get this done sooner than later as I need to give people enough notice. I'm also gonna recommend them to spread the word to others as they can as I would like to make his yard CHOCKED FULL of flags!Then, maybe I can take them and make some sort of keepsake for him if there is a turnout from this. OHH! The ideas just keep coming! :lol::evilgrin:

• Like 1

What a great idea to thank this man for his service!:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2: Memorial day may be the official holiday that brings it to our attention, but we as a country should always respect and be thankful to those who have served. Along with honoring the Veterans we need to also remember those who are currently serving and are in harms way. Something as simple as a flat rate box filled with odds and ends or a magazine subscription can bring a small taste of home or at least a short distraction from the madness. There are groups like Adopt a platoon, Adopt a soldier, or even donate to a local group such as the Blue star mothers, they support veterans and active duty soldiers and send out care packages regularly. If you are interested and can't find the info you need online, My wife is the President of our local Blue star moms and I'm sure she can find your closest group that can hook you up with a soldier to send something too..

• Like 1

Might I mention something if you don't mind.Memorial day is the day we honor the men and women that gave their all, they gave their lives for their country.Veterans day is to honor the men and women that have and is serving their country.As to what would happen or said if you walk up to a Nam Vet and thank them for their service?More than likely a thank you and possibly a tear in that persons eye.20+ years after I returned from Nam, the people I served with started finding each other and meet once a year. Nothing more than to see people that were a part of our life that we want to remember, yet forget at time.We had our get together three years ago at Fort Benning. For the heck of it we went to the camp to see the new graduating class of grunts. Somehow, someone found out we were there and during the ceremony, the class stopped, saluted us and thanked us for our services. All our eyes had a tear since this was the first time we were 'actually acknowledged for our service' and thanked for our service. Up until then, we were known as, well if you lived during that time, you's know. Although we weren't that. So in this house, on Memorial Day we say a prayer for the fallen, and Veterans day we say a prayer for those that didn't, yet served and is serving.Sorry for carrying on.

• Like 1

Well, I had alot on my plate last week and there was no way for me to be able to go to a kinkos or the likes to print off or make flyers in time.

Instead, when his "girlfriend" gets over to his house this evening, me and the wife are gonna go over. Don't wanna make him answer the door as he only has 1/4 lung capacity or less, left. Wife made a batch of sweet rolls.(Hes apparently a sweetooth) We've got a thank you card and I bought a flag that I'm gonna see if he will let me put up for him.

...we shall see how it turns out!

- - - Updated - - -

:thumbup2:

He insisted he put it up, but I got my drill and put the first screw in before he even had a chance to get out of the chair! No way I would let him do it. But overall, good experience! Visited for about an hour, hour and a half or so. His girlfriend had to remind him about most of his stories more than he could tell them.

But hey, we got to show some appreciation. Atleast if he goes, he will have some sweet rolls to take with him! :)

Heres to you! A WWII HERO! :hyper:

• Like 1