• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buying 99 dodge ram with 24v

All,

I am buying a 24v dodge ram 2500 with 205k, anything I need to be aware of? This is the one with the lift pump issues?

sorry for not reading forum but I plan to buy as early as tomorrow morning.

I have GTALK and SKYPE if it's easier for someone to chat that way.....

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like the injector pump is a vp44 which is junk?

No they are not junk they are just a part that has to be watched. See if it has had a new injection pump put on it, and a lift pump, then last but not least a fuel pressure gauge!

it looks like whoever installed the low pressure LED light on the truck. So they must of knew it was a issue, How do I know if it's a new lift pump and injection pump? I mean aftermarket is kinda advice but not OEM.

There are a few things that I feel NEED to be addressed before parting with any of your money:

1. Does it have a K&N air filter? If so, check turbo for oily residue. May have caused damage to intake.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/41-bhaf-big-honkin-air-filter

2. Ask about the Killer dowel pin. Was it fixed? My 99 had the KDP. I had to fix it. Got the truck at a shy 200k miles on it and the pin was still in. No damage, thanfully.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/34-engine-system/106-kdp-repairtiming-cover-leaks

3. Is it a "53" block? Some 53 blocks have a hairline crack in the block. Causes a coolant leak under the turbo above the motor mount.

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/cummins-53-block.html

4. Is the vp44 good? Codes? CE light? Fuel pressure? Healthy fuel pressure above 14psi and no more than 25psi during the life of the vp44 will keep it running. More than likely, it has not seen the pressures.

5. Coolant/trans. temp heat exchanger. Is it rusted out, leaking coolant? If its too rusted, the fittings to it will be leaking or your coolant or trans oil will not be right...

6. Does it have gauges? Fuel, boost, egt, trans(auto)? Will tell you the previous owner has done something to monitor parameters. Which means they may have a good idea about the weak points.

7. Does the bed sag in relation to the cab? Could tell you whether or not the frame is bent/cracked from too heavy loads.

(exaggerated example) But its what COULD happen if the frame has been cracked and go heavy.

8. Any extras, like mods, chips, hitches? Could tell you about whats been done to it and whether or not it has had an abusive life.

Other then that, its just typical things to chec for when buying a used vehicle...

And! Visit:

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins

• Like 1

VP44's are not junk if you take care of them. They need good lift pump pressure, 15 to 20 psi is good pressure. If the idiot light is all that is in there the present owner did not know this. The ones I have seen all come on at 5 psi and that pressure will hurt the vp. Read this http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/49-fuel-pressure-specification-for-bosch-vp44-injection-pumps

There is alot to digest about the fuel system if you are buying tomorrow am. The oe lift pump will be behind the fuel filter canister on the block, some after markets will be there also. Some after market pumps will be on the frame rail in front of the fuel tank, some on the front of the frame driven by gears off of the crank pulley. If there is no fuel pressure gauge I would be a little suspect the owner knows of fuel pressure concerns. I am not trying to scare you off the truck, it might be just fine. There is just alot of info you want in a short time frame.

- - - Updated - - -

An over night crash course is pretty tough to do. Right Hex? I just touched on the VP.

• Like 2

VP44's are not junk if you take care of them. They need good lift pump pressure, 15 to 20 psi is good pressure. If the idiot light is all that is in there the present owner did not know this. The ones I have seen all come on at 5 psi and that pressure will hurt the vp. Read this http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/49-fuel-pressure-specification-for-bosch-vp44-injection-pumps

There is alot to digest about the fuel system if you are buying tomorrow am. The oe lift pump will be behind the fuel filter canister on the block, some after markets will be there also. Some after market pumps will be on the frame rail in front of the fuel tank, some on the front of the frame driven by gears off of the crank pulley. If there is no fuel pressure gauge I would be a little suspect the owner knows of fuel pressure concerns. I am not trying to scare you off the truck, it might be just fine. There is just alot of info you want in a short time frame.

- - - Updated - - -

An over night crash course is pretty tough to do. Right Hex? I just touched on the VP.

well he has the idiot light, so they must of thought of "being careful"

as you said this could still hurt it. seems like quite the gamble with this one.... it seems more of a older person that owned the truck, it doesn't have a cd player just cassette(assuming kids go right for cd players or mp3)

Im okay with spending the money on a aftermarket fuel pump and fuel gauge right away, I just dont want major issues up front.