• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Cap Vented or not?

I bet I have a clogged rollover vent. I fill the tank until I see diesel and never have a leak, so the float must be stuck and I get a vacuum. I am going to drill a 1/16 inch hole in the cap.

let me know if it works i clean my vent last year. I did it in the late summer and now I'm back to it have pressure when I take the cap off. All ways wonder if anyone ever made a cap with a vent i would buy one. Tired of cleaning mud off the top of my tank from hunting season

• Staff

Watch your fuel pressure improve also. Just drill the hole thru the white underside only in the bottom of the cap. Drill in between the little wheel spoke looking things.

Watch your fuel pressure improve also. Just drill the hole thru the white underside only in the bottom of the cap. Drill in between the little wheel spoke looking things.

Well, I put the 1/16 inch hole in the cap and tested it. Comments welcome on plugging the rollover hole :think:

• Staff

I plugged mine since I have my own custom tank vent. The Rollover valves seem to be unreliable for some. Occasionally you hear about someone with a collapsing tank. Just a piece of hose with a bolt clamped in the end will plug the valve.It's funny, on the one day I decided to really top off the fuel my rollover valve decided to squirt about a quart of fuel before I got it stopped.

• Owner

Strange... My truck spend most of it life in the dirt and mud of Idaho. I never had a issue with the tank vent clogging or plugging. I would consider cleaning the tank vent with a small drill bit in your fingers and a bit of compressed air. I really don't like the ideas of drill holes in the fuel cap I would rather fix the actual problem that band-aid it. So like the current tank vent a guy could clean it out and then add a piece of vinyl tubing to it and tuck the other end up in the bed cross bar to keep it clean. There is so many other solutions that drilling holes in the fuel cap.

• Owner

I think it would vent fine but the chances of getting water or other liquid in the vent tube is high. That why I mention the bed cross member tube low chance of water enter then. Kind of like snowmobile fuel tank vents if you look at it it starts at the top and wrap completely around the tank back to the starting point. This system prevent fuel from leaking out highly unlikely to draw water in.

• Staff

Mike, you are right about running a tube up higher to a cross member to avoid the dirt clogging the vent. Much better than drilling the cap.I don't think its a good idea to push anything inside the rollover valve though because isn't it some kind of flapper in there? It lets in air to vent but won't let fuel out in a rollover wreck?

well i guess on Monday i will drop my tank out and see what i can red neck up. I need to get the mud and sand of the top of the tank anyway. Will give me a reason to give my truck its once a year power washing.