• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help me pick a turbo...

I am looking for a new turbo and would appreciate your input. I currently have a hx35/40. I rarely tow, but would like to keep that capability. I really want low smoke, quickish spool, and enough air to keep things cool. I like drivability and don't race. Perhaps, I have too much injector as currently I have the comp dialed back and the smarty as well. I have too much fuel for the turbo I have at present.From my reading and thinking... A 63/68/14 might work well, but I am not sure. Money is always a concern as well... Plus, anybody want a hybrid? :)

I think that would work good with your mods. I am running a DDP 62/65/13 non-gated. It's a little laggy, but once it lights I have no smoke. Works well for towing too, I hardly see anything over 1000 and if I do only for a short period of time. It will smoke down low, but it is very controllable.

• Like 1

Where are you at hp wise? Garrett GT3782R Stage 2 Powermax kit.

I have never dyno'ed it. Based off some really rough estimates, I would say 350+? I don't lack for grunt on low end, though with the hybrid it runs out of air at the top end. The hybrid also takes a lot of fuel to spool. I have read and re read your Garrett install... I really like the looks of it. My truck use and end goal is about the same as yours. I am just hesitant to spend that much on a turbo. That would likely be my first choice though. My other considerations were a Fleece controller and a VGE 351/451, but I don't like the added complexity to the system, and if it was so good, why don't I see more guys doing the Fleece VGE swap?

The HE351 and the HX40 (7blade) use the same compressor wheel, what does the 35/40 use? It seems there are multiple variants. Are you sure you are running out of air? Or are you running out of turbine?

That... is a good question. I don't know for sure. I did some tweaking to the programmers this weekend and its driving way better. I am going to do some additional waste gate tuning after that. I suppose that I could still use more air/flow, but I am not lacking for power. I don't lack for oomph, spool, but I can get warmer than I want. If anything, I should pull the injectors, have them pop tested, and then trade them/sell them on a set of smaller ones to use less fuel. I really can't decide which way to go, so at the moment I am kinda circling. bigger turbo? smaller injectors? or nothing? As is, I can spin the 285s with ease and chirp the crap out of them during shifts.