Help me pick a turbo...

I am looking for a new turbo and would appreciate your input. I currently have a hx35/40. I rarely tow, but would like to keep that capability. I really want low smoke, quickish spool, and enough air to keep things cool. I like drivability and don't race. Perhaps, I have too much injector as currently I have the comp dialed back and the smarty as well. I have too much fuel for the turbo I have at present.From my reading and thinking... A 63/68/14 might work well, but I am not sure. Money is always a concern as well... Plus, anybody want a hybrid? :)

I think that would work good with your mods. I am running a DDP 62/65/13 non-gated. It's a little laggy, but once it lights I have no smoke. Works well for towing too, I hardly see anything over 1000 and if I do only for a short period of time. It will smoke down low, but it is very controllable.

• Like 1

Where are you at hp wise? Garrett GT3782R Stage 2 Powermax kit.

I have never dyno'ed it. Based off some really rough estimates, I would say 350+? I don't lack for grunt on low end, though with the hybrid it runs out of air at the top end. The hybrid also takes a lot of fuel to spool. I have read and re read your Garrett install... I really like the looks of it. My truck use and end goal is about the same as yours. I am just hesitant to spend that much on a turbo. That would likely be my first choice though. My other considerations were a Fleece controller and a VGE 351/451, but I don't like the added complexity to the system, and if it was so good, why don't I see more guys doing the Fleece VGE swap?

The HE351 and the HX40 (7blade) use the same compressor wheel, what does the 35/40 use? It seems there are multiple variants. Are you sure you are running out of air? Or are you running out of turbine?

That... is a good question. I don't know for sure. I did some tweaking to the programmers this weekend and its driving way better. I am going to do some additional waste gate tuning after that. I suppose that I could still use more air/flow, but I am not lacking for power. I don't lack for oomph, spool, but I can get warmer than I want. If anything, I should pull the injectors, have them pop tested, and then trade them/sell them on a set of smaller ones to use less fuel. I really can't decide which way to go, so at the moment I am kinda circling. bigger turbo? smaller injectors? or nothing? As is, I can spin the 285s with ease and chirp the crap out of them during shifts.