• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Additive

• Owner

First thing don't mix any additive together. :duh: 2 Cycle oil is typically the reverse of most additive so it negates the benefits of the other product. Always pick one product and use just that product don't mix them.

As for HFRR score you want that as low as possible. This will keep your fuel system lubed up.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/68-hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives

Posted Image

As for fuel mileage you want your cetane as low as possible.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/67-diesel-fuel-cetane-rating-and-the-effects

The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

More BTU's in low cetane fuel than high cetane fuels.

Posted Image

• Like 1

in my brother in laws fsm, it states that adding any kind of lubricity additive to the fuel system is not reccommended. I'm guessing it has to do with the dpf equipment. Someone who owns one could probably answer this much better than I can. Rather than looking for different opinions I would go directly to the owners manual or fsm, it will be important to follow their advice to maintain any warranty.

• 1 month later...

I understand trying to meet the lube requirements. I used to use a lot of additives.....I have quit adding any. I just don't put any in at all.Supposedly our pump fuel is a little better than the minimum requirement anyway. Plus we just don't hear of anyone having any problems with pumps failing at least from lube problems......

• Staff

That's the problem Dan, Our fuel does not stay under the Bosch maximum score value. Your always going to be accelerating injection pump wear without 2 stroke oil added. Most other fuel additives are best to use cleaning paint brushes and can even increase the scoring/ scrape value.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...