• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help with some issues after no. 6 cylinder replacement...

Thnx for reading my thread fellas. I'm sure this will put your mind to work alittle...

So I bought this truck 2002 4x4 built Auto AFe cold air, Edge comp, stock turbo & inj.... with bad no. 6 cylinder. Local shop pulled the motor and replaced piston, rings, rod, bearings.. etc only on the 6 cylinder all others looked real good.... Now truck smokes alot at idle.. and I have weird sound coming from the intake. I put 1200 miles on it and truck runs real well. Changed oil and filters yesterday and found out it consumed over 1.5 gallons of oil since only about a gallon drained out. Is that normal for a break in of one cylinder ( the hone did need a course hone from what in was told).?? I do check oil frequently but it obviously snook up onme. We have gone over valve clearances few times and they are good. I dsconnected the Edge comp box and still smokes. I'm co concerned about the oil consumption and the sucking air sound thru intake.

Things I noticed :

17mpg at 65mph w/ edge maxed

No. 1 injector leaves wet spot ontop of head under injector line near cover

No smoke while going down the road.

Drove from LA, Ca to Wyoming with no issues today ... runs real well idles smooth

I know I'm missing some Info but I will stop running my mouth for a bit. Hope I get some good feedback .... Thx fellas

Posted Image

sent from my cell...

• Owner

Changed oil and filters yesterday and found out it consumed over 1.5 gallons of oil since only about a gallon drained out

:nono::duh: I hope you haven't done damage to the engine with lack of oil flow. But something is wrong because its consuming way too much oil even for a break in.

Now truck smokes alot at idle..

What color of smoke?

My first thing I would do is...

[*]Pull all injectors out and pop test them all. This will verify the smoke isn't a fuel issue.

[*]While the injectors are out I would run a compression test to verify the health of each cylinder.

We don't know if its a bad injector just spraying to much and hosing out the rings or the other cylinders where worse off than you knew. We need some more test data to go forward.

I have weird sound coming from the intake.

This would be covered by doing a compression test. Because if the compression is low or something is bent or broken then the compression will be low on the bad cylinder(s).

I dsconnected the Edge comp box and still smokes.

This would be covered by doing the injector pop testing. Because if the injector(s) are failing the pop test will show it.

I totally forgot compression test even existed. Should have done that long time ago when shop was swapping around injectors to see... I will have them do that for sure. As for the injectors... We had cracked the injectors while running and noise stopped after cracking No.5 injector... Swapped no.5 with no.4 and problem stayed at no 5 cylinder...... So we kind of ruled out injectors at that point... And remained stumped... Just checked the oil after my 800 mile drive and level hasn't dropped a whole lot.. I guess I need more time to confirm how much oil she's drinking. Thnx for input so far gentlemansent from my cell...

• Owner

I totally forgot compression test even existed. Should have done that long time ago when shop was swapping around injectors to see... I will have them do that for sure. As for the injectors... We had cracked the injectors while running and noise stopped after cracking No.5 injector... Swapped no.5 with no.4 and problem stayed at no 5 cylinder...... So we kind of ruled out injectors at that point... And remained stumped... Just checked the oil after my 800 mile drive and level hasn't dropped a whole lot.. I guess I need more time to confirm how much oil she's drinking. Thnx for input so far gentleman sent from my cell...

Just because you used that method doesn't mean the injectors are firing at there proper pop pressure either. This might contribute to the smoke issue that you talking about.

I will call up shop and schedule a compression test tomoro.... Question.. how low does oil have to be to show low oil pressure or pop up a check engine light?? I did check my gauges religiously and saw no oil pressure loss sent from my cell...

I hate to say it but the oil pressure gauge is not accurate by any standards. If I can vary the ECT sensor temperature and get a huge change from the oil pressure gauge that tell me the gauge is worthless. Not to mention the value shown is no where close to actual tested value.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUYO-lJe36w

Safe is 2 quarts low. But 1.5 gallons is extremely risky. :stuned:
  • Like 1

• Owner

So you internally consuming the oil most likely. So there is only a few ways of doing this failed turbo bearing seals. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/122-turbo-inspection Possible head/valve seal issue. Maybe ring issues? Once again I return back to do some testing to find more information which will ultimate point out the true problem.

The truck only sat for 2 months.... If its blowing out the turbo I would think oil would be black and smell like oil. No oil leaks whatsever around motor. ... sent from my cell...

it would be whitish blue. fuel is black/brown. antifreeze is white and foggy. cats are bloody and make a bark sound when put through the woodchipper.
  • Like 2

Fuel can also cause a white smoke, usually from low pressure (failing ip or injectors)I agree with pop test on injectors and compression test on all cylinders while injectors are out, hopefully you haven't caused anymore damage from running so low on oil :pray:

• Like 1

and I have weird sound coming from the intake.

Does your sound seem to be like a thump, thump, thump? That could indicate a head gasket blown between cyls 5 & 6. That would also explain why the noise stayed with #5 after you swapped injectors.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input gentlemen...Truck is in the shop getting injectors pop tested and a compression test done. Hopefully get results Monday..Blowby? - yes I have no blow by whatsoeverDamage to motor from low oil? - I hope not either but truck has ran the same since I pulled out of the shop....Thump thump sound? - yes it is that sound... it sounded that way out of the shop I knew something was not right. It sounds the same 1200 miles later... the only reason I would not think head gasket is because it is brand new... Unless torque down was not right. sent from my cell...

I appreciate the follow ups.... Truck still in the shop, I stopped by today and I guess the injectors are still somewhere else getting pop tested... As for the compression test, they had done the first 4 cylinders only because they couldn't get to the 5 and 6 until they get another adapter . Fisrt 4 cylinders came up with around 300.psi. ......... I'm dying to know what 5 and 6 come up with..... I'm going to stop by tomorrow again. I'm maxed out on the fun meter with this issue and I really need my truck back... So I need to put the pressure on .. I keep u posted guys Thnx sent from my cell...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright gentlmen.. I got my results for compression test. Injectors were pop tested and all checked out to be working normal. Cylinder1 - 245 psi2 - 2503 - 250 4 - 2505 - 2506 - 255. I still have that whomp whomp sound thru intake. and as far as I know still burning oil.. I just figured out the edge has settings within each setting. Going to mess with that to see if it gets rid of some idle haze. I'm going to top off the oil and run it some more to ensure it still burning oil. Thnx for any more suggestions u have... And appreciate you guys that following up. sent from my cell...