• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transmission problems at initial starup ?

Hi Guys,I have a situation where the truck once started (starts very easily) and I start to move off, it will often not change from 1st gear though the engine revs up (2002 auto tranny 57RE). Consequently, the truck moves at maybe 30kph. I have found that if I pull over, put the trans in park and shut the engine off and leave it for a minute or so and then restart and put it into drive, the truck will drive away normally, shifting through the gears as if nothing had happened. For the rest of the day the truck acts and performs normally.I have no codes show up and I have around 12 psi at idle and maybe 9psi at speed.Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening. Should I re-adjust the front bands - they were done about 20,000km ago when the tranny was serviced.Otherwise the truck and engine perform normally with no other problems.Any input from you experinced guys would be greatly appreciated.Thanksmariner2002 3500 auto 4x4 QC long box

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if maybe the governor might be problematic as well as the wiring etc? Otherwise the truck runs just fine and no surging or dead pedal scenarios to date.Yes, I realise the transmission is a 47RE - just my fat fingers not dancing properly over the keyboard :rolleyes::ashamed::sleep:Thanks again for the comments - it gives me a direction to start in.mariner

Hi Guys,A bit of an update on the transmission.Had a local transmission service look at the tranny. First, they tried to get codes and the only thing that showed up was a P0216 - from when I lost my fuel lift pump. They cleared that code and then we went for a test drive and then rechecked with the code reader. Nothing - no codes showing other than P1693, which I believe is a companion code and really doesn't mean much on it's own.The chap (owner) talked a bit with me on the 47RE and suggested a few things. First, he cleaned the speed sensor in the tranny - magnetic and picks up fine metal pieces. It was pretty dirty - which is apparently normal and replaced it. He also suggested that I work on wiring grounds and the alternator for spurious signals etc. Otherwise he could not find anything wrong with the tranny, it shifts just fine up and down. After spending all this time (maybe 30 mins or more) the owner would not take any money for what was done. His philosophy is that what he did would be good advertising and that I would recommend his services to everyone else. That is exactly what I will do.So, I guess I will spend the next day or two checking grounds and wiring etc. I won't know for sure if there is any improvement until tomorrow or the next day re cleaning speed sensor.Will let you guys know if I come up with anything that might help someone else.mariner