• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alignment (front-end)

I got the truck inspected last week. On Sunday, I replaced the track bar, due to a completely worn out TRE.This morning, I had it aligned. I requested that they max out the caster (4.0+). The tech said he would, and he tried. But, there's an issue with worn out bushings and eccentric bolts in the LCAs. The max he could get was ~ +3.0. I'll attach a pic of the print-out, shortly, as I forgot it in the truck.So I see where various places offer bushings, but I cannot find where to get replacement eccentric bolts, other than the dealer. Anyone have any suggestions as to how best to go about this, and options on the bolts? Should I press out/replace the bushings, or replace the LCA assemblies, all-together? Cost is a factor, obviously, but at the same time, "time is money"..Thanks.

Hey Rick, I've personally never had to mess with mine before, but I remember a friend of mine having problems removing the old bushings on his arms. He actually bent the arm trying to press the old one out because it was really froze in place. He said he didn't have very much on them and was surprised when it folded like a pop can :cry: You may not even have anything to worry about especially if your truck has spent its entire life out of the rust belt (unlike my friends) but just a fore warning! Good luck!

• Like 1

What's the reasoning for maxing out the caster? I heard some doing it to help with wander issues, just curious if that's your reason and how do you decide what to take it to if so?

Basically, yes, to keep the truck from wandering as much. It doesn't wander around a lot, as it is, but when I tow (heavy) it tends to wander around more (obviously). With more caster in it, it'll want to track straight, due to the geometry.

Hey Rick, I've personally never had to mess with mine before, but I remember a friend of mine having problems removing the old bushings on his arms. He actually bent the arm trying to press the old one out because it was really froze in place. He said he didn't have very much on them and was surprised when it folded like a pop can :cry: You may not even have anything to worry about especially if your truck has spent its entire life out of the rust belt (unlike my friends) but just a fore warning! Good luck!

Yeah, I'm debating on whether I want to just replace the entire arm, or mess with pressing out 16 yr old bushings. :think:

• 3 months later...

Hey Rogan, I see that you have a complete writeup on all four tires alignment.  In saying that, the printout indicates that the rears are obviously not the same but I'm not sure if those are in spec so I was wondering if the alignement shop messed with the rear alignement or did they leave it alone?  And if they did, what did they actually do to change the rear specs?  Thanks.

Hey Rogan, I see that you have a complete writeup on all four tires alignment.  In saying that, the printout indicates that the rears are obviously not the same but I'm not sure if those are in spec so I was wondering if the alignement shop messed with the rear alignement or did they leave it alone?  And if they did, what did they actually do to change the rear specs?  Thanks.

They didn't do anything to the rear axle for alignment.