• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I need help for someone that knows

Jim 5150

Lately it takes longer for truck to turn over. No smoke, idles fine runs great. I noticed today that if I hold the fuel pedal down 1/4 the way the truck fires right up. At Idle when cold fuel rail pressure is bouncing from around 5.6 kpsi up 6.4 and as low as 4.4. When warm starts the same but rail pressure sits around 5.3 up to 5.6 down to 4.8 kpsi. Any ideas on thisPosted Image. Thanks for the help.

Was talking to another guy , told me to check my prv by pulling the the banjo bolt drying out the well and starting the truck . I did that and the well filled up and poured out right away. Does this sound like it could be the issue to you. Not saying you are wrong but hoping I luck out and its cheaper then injectors .lol

• Staff

never heard injectors needing replacement at around 109,000 miles. That's still so new still for a Cummins. In my book.... 109,000 miles is nothin' on a Cummins. Heck my 92 has over 400,000 miles and still runs good on the originals.Seth isn't it a possibility that Jim has some tank drain back going on? Or just carbon dirty injectors?

Whats a PRV?And its very common for cr injectors go bad. These injectors have such tight tollerances and they fire 3,4,5 times depending on the year that they wear fast. Plus i dont think they were ready for ulsd. Just think how many times they fire if you idle your truck for 10 minutes or run down the interstate for an hour. Idleing is also hard on them because the cylinder temps drop and the fuel doesnt completly burn causing carboning. The reson he is having long crank times is fuel rail pressure is bleeding back into the return

• Like 1

• Staff

never heard injectors needing replacement at around 109,000 miles. That's still so new still for a Cummins. In my book.... 109,000 miles is nothin' on a Cummins. Heck my 92 has over 400,000 miles and still runs good on the originals. Seth isn't it a possibility that Jim has some tank drain back going on? Or just carbon dirty injectors?

Common Rail... enough said. A stock 2004 will have 2x the injection events of a 2002 with the same number miles (okay, rotatoins but you get the point). A 2004.5-2007 will have between 2-3x that amount.

Was talking to another guy , told me to check my prv by pulling the the banjo bolt drying out the well and starting the truck . I did that and the well filled up and poured out right away. Does this sound like it could be the issue to you. Not saying you are wrong but hoping I luck out and its cheaper then injectors .lol

Sounds like you need a HPRV. Call Todd at T&C diesel. 763-228-7121 [h=5][/h]
  • Like 1

Make sure do it right the first time. I bought 6 injectors from Dtec and 2 were bad sent them off they sent me two more , after a three week turn around Ive been driving for less than a week and got a p1222 code with a wait to start light wich is to much return flow, another injector prob. They will replace it but its three weeks and more work!:cry:

Make sure do it right the first time. I bought 6 injectors from Dtec and 2 were bad sent them off they sent me two more , after a three week turn around Ive been driving for less than a week and got a p1222 code with a wait to start light wich is to much return flow, another injector prob. They will replace it but its three weeks and more work!:cry:

So i know what injectors I wont be getting.

- - - Updated - - -

So AH64ID OR MOPARMAN. I noticed today that sometime my Edge cs comes on when I turn the key to on position and sometimes it don't. The times it does come on and I wait for the gauges to come up the engine seems to fire within 3 cranks. When the cs doesn't come on (the regular dash lights do) even if I wait it takes 6 to 8 cranks. WTH. I am going to try this some more and see if its really is a difference or coincidence over the next few days.

I had longer cranking issues with my 2004.5, I didn't have to give it throttle to get it started, but it just wasn't firing up right away. I had the injectors tested at a shop that has all of the proper bosch$$$ testing equipment and they found two injectors with leakage issues. I replaced the two bad injectors and now the truck fires up like it should. I would recommend getting them tested, but make sure the shop has the bosch equipment. As well if you can afford it, if one or more injectors fail, then replace them all. I only replaced two because of budget contstraints. Also the bosch reman injectors are the only way to go as they are fully rebuilt, tested and guaranteed. (or new bosch, but that expensive). Another thing to note if you have excessive leakage, the fuel pressure will not build and the truck will be difficult to start.

• Like 1