• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rubber brake lines?

• Owner

I've been using DOT 3 brake fluid. But flush the system every 30k miles and then break down my callipers every 60k miles or so. After bleeding once typically you push the debris from the master cylinder down to the callipers or wheel cylinders. So I typically will pull them apart and clean the debris out. I'm still running stock brake lines yet zero problems.

More on brake fluids...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

What tools are necessary for breakdown and maintenance of the calipers? I watched your video. Looks pretty simple. If you follow this procedure, is there a point at which you have to get new calipers? Where do you get the supplies?

Edited by joecool911

• Owner

What tools are necessary for breakdown and maintenance of the calipers? I watched your video. Looks pretty simple. If you follow this procedure, is there a point at which you have to get new calipers? Where do you get the supplies?

Compressed air, 2x4 block and a flat blade screwdriver. Use the compressed air and the 2x4 to get the pistons out. The screwdriver to pry out the weather boots. I bought my parts and supplies at RockAuto.Com. The only thing I can see that would force me to get new callipers would be rust pits. But since I keep the brake fluid fresh and callipers clean I might never have to change callipers.

I want to get a parts washer. Recommendations appreciated. Cheaper 5 gallon? Solvent or water based? I'm thinking solvent for intermittent use so it doesn't form rust.

I typically just use a bucket of hot soapy water and scrub everything down then blow dry everything instantly with compressed air.

If I'm going to start the process of rebuilding my calipers, sounds like a may need to start off with new calipers. I bet mine are pitted or scratched. 175,000 miles and no known maintenance. Would I have to get dodge calipers or would any from a parts store be rebuildable?

I would rebuild yours if at all possible. I was in a pinch and had to replace my calipers the night before a long road trip. Went with NAPA figuring I would be safe, I've had to replace the driverside caliper twice in a years time. I know others that have had similar issues with reman parts. It just seems like the general quality of reman parts has gone down hill. Lifetime warranty is of little value if it's trashing other parts in the process and leaving you on the side of the road. I've had to deal with both.

Edited by diesel4life