• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Big Buddy Heater

Wife got me a Big Buddy Heater for Christmas.  Got the Hose/Line to tap into the house propane system.  12' hose and quick coupling.

I know this has been beat to death...literally. What do you guys think about running it all night with all the proper precaustions? Ventiliation, CO detector.  I figure this is a forum full of guys that are sound minded.  I am leaning towards doing it.  I want a CO detector with digital read out. Maybe a cheapo and a digital units.

I ordered a PlatCat over a year ago and no dice.  Called him once and he said he'd get on it.  Now I'm thinking of saving the money and just going Buddy.

• Owner

We got a Big Buddy heater as well for a fall back heater source in case of wood stove issues (chimney plugged up, lack of wood, etc.) I've never used one through the night but we've used it for a about 1 winter chasing the bitter cold mornings and then shutting it down. No issues here.

Like its also nice for the shop for those day I just need some quick heat and don't want to fire up a wood stove.

Also have a torpedo propane heater as well.

I keep my 5th wheel trailer sealed up. And no problems. But maybe keep a vent open just to be safe. It's all up to you really. Mine we only light on low and it runs all night From say 10:00 at night to around 5:00 am. No stinky smell. No problems really. It's works good with the fan on.

I keep my 5th wheel trailer sealed up. And no problems. But maybe keep a vent open just to be safe. It's all up to you really. Mine we only light on low and it runs all night From say 10:00 at night to around 5:00 am. No stinky smell. No problems really. It's works good with the fan on.

And you're still alive to tell about it. Some guys on other forums really bash anyone who considers sleeping with the unit on. Glad you're still here! Thanks.

I have thought about this same thing for my trailer. Getting all the heat of my fuel instead of having to lean on the trailers furnace that uses a heat exchanger..

Although, I have always been leery about such a thing as you hear about stories of people dying because they used their oven to heat their house, etc.

I have had to deal with people dying from CO poisoning as well. It was from exhaust of a vehicle so its a little different in that instance. But the principal remains, the risk of CO poisoning.

I would love the idea of using a heater just like you speak of, but I would NEVER use it while I sleep. You will never know it until its too late and your standing before God! :ahhh:  Hence why people like to commit suicide in this manner.

Atleast when you are awake, you can tell when you are starting to become affected by CO. As well, FYI, CO is VERY hard to remove from the body. Once you get an amount in you, your ability to keep an appropriate amount of oxygen in the blood is diminished.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but just want to inform you of the risk before you do it.

EDIT: Don't skimp on a CO detector. Buy a good one. You mention using it for safety and then skimp on quality. As well, CO is near the same density as air. So its going to be buoyant. Cracking a vent high or low is not as good as it will be somewhere in the middle.

Edited by hex0rz

I agree to some degree, these heaters are marketed as indoor safe. They are cataleptic so in theory remove that bad. They have 02 sensors. But still be carefull.

Alright, so I looked it up. I thought we were speaking of the torpedo style heater? Its the smaller portable unit that uses propane canisters, right? They said indoor safe, but still said under emergency conditions. So, what do they classify it as such?

As well, what in the world do you mean by, "cataleptic?"

A condition characterized by lack of response to external stimuli and by muscular rigidity, so that the limbs remain in whatever position they are placed. It is known to occur in a variety of physical and psychological disorders, such as epilepsy and schizophrenia, and can be induced by hypnosis.

You mean, "Catalytic?"

Found a Kiddie brand battery operated CO detector that can be mounted on wall or table top. It's $35 and has a digital read out. My thinking is that since I have cabinets on either side of the bed with tops about head height, that would be an optimum location. I try to buy all battery operated devices with AA sized batteries. I buy them by the 48 pack at Cosco. Headlight, GPS, etc purchases are all influenced by battery size. I made the propane connection last night and it leaks. Going to get in there with two wrenched and crank down the flaired fittings today. It's in a tight spot and tried it with one wrench last night. Need to remove a couple cupboard doors to get both arms in there. It's a laying on the floor endeavor in the 3' wide walkway. Not easy access.

They say not to do it but we used a radiant kero heater all night in a tent in primitive camp.  We used a 3" tube under the tent flap to bring in fresh air & one through the door flaps behind our bed to vent.  We tested CO & never set off the alarm.  WE slept in a bed up off the floor.

We use new type CO detector in the camp trailer with the furnace on all night & have had no issues.  CO is heavier than air.  We sleep in a bed up off the floor.  Our CO detector is ON THE FLOOR next to our bed.  Any build up of CO would start at the floor level so should trigger before we breathe too much.  I think these combo CO/Smoke/Fire detectors mounted up high are flawed, code be damned. 

Heat exchangers can fail.  The shop at my ex's...  had a oil/hot air furnace with a cracked fire box.  Just a steel plate laying on top of the crack. Not used for sleeping, so no issue.   

:)  I have seen more than one argument over CO detectors and their placement... Its kind of humorous at times.

ALSO:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ice-storm-power-outages-lead-carbon-monoxide-deaths/story?id=21341326

http://www.firstalert.com/faqs/co-alarm/is-carbon-monoxide-heavier-than-air-what-is-the-diffusion-of-carbon-monoxide-in-air

:smart:

Edited by hex0rz