• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A Great Way To Gardening...

hex0rz

• Staff

My vegies exploded with growth when I mixed in about 50 % compost.

My neighbor uses lots peat moss (expensive) and his veg garden is almost like a jungle :cheers:

I cannot get the above video to work for me.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Thank You I got it that time.

Interesting intro to a better way of gardening and staying healthy. I studied some of that in years past, John Jeavens method and so forth. But I'm terribly lazy about gardening.

I plan on doing more however, because the food in the stores is getting fake and flakier with every passing day. I can't believe some of the $#!t from the stores. We keep trying the most expensive only to find we're ripped off again.

Thank you.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Gardening here is really difficult. There is couple of problems.

1. Animals. If you just plant your garden in a open piece of ground then every deer and what not will come and eat it for you. So now oyu must fence off you garden and the fence has to be about 6 foot tall. So we tend to garden on the deck using flower pots and the deer typically won't come near the house.

2. Only certain thing will grow here because of the ground, temperature and short growing season. Like corn is a no go it will not mature quick enough. But now radishes, lettuce, herbs, potatoes, wheat (no comment from Dripley!) all grow really well here.

• Like 1

• Staff

I bought a dod kennel off craiglist for 50 bucks. This works since I have deer problems.

I have a huge gopher problem so I placed a metal floor inside with a 4x6 p.t. perimeter.

Anyway I built walk around planter boxes on top of the metal floor and put in very rich soil. It does okay for a 10 x10.

I might cover the whole thing with plastic for a greenhouse effect. Need to build another one eventually

I

Edited by JAG1

Thank You I got it that time.

Interesting intro to a better way of gardening and staying healthy. I studied some of that in years past, John Jeavens method and so forth. But I'm terribly lazy about gardening. Tired after work, that sort of thing.

I plan on doing more however, because the food in the stores is getting fake and flakier with every passing day. I can't believe some of the $#!t from the stores. We keep trying the most expensive only to find we're ripped off again.

Thank you.

I know what you mean, but I'm really motivated this year to do something since I really want purer food and have that liberty in gardening to provide for ourselves. I hope to keep ourselves from going to the grocery store very little for food. We have chickens now, and with our garden we should hopefully get alot of different foods. Then we are going to getting our beef cow(s) for meat and will are hoping to get a dairy cow within the next couple years. I also plan on having atleast 4 beehives this year as well. That would certainly cover alot of bases!

We are trying to get a mill so we can do our own flour, etc. as well. All we need to do is buy from a local farmer the wheat, etc.

As you can tell, I'm really concentrating on food this year... lol.

1. Animals. If you just plant your garden in a open piece of ground then every deer and what not will come and eat it for you. So now oyu must fence off you garden and the fence has to be about 6 foot tall. So we tend to garden on the deck using flower pots and the deer typically won't come near the house.

2. Only certain thing will grow here because of the ground, temperature and short growing season. Like corn is a no go it will not mature quick enough. But now radishes, lettuce, herbs, potatoes, wheat (no comment from Dripley!) all grow really well here.

You got that right, Mike! Up here we seem to get alot of rain. Sometimes it seems like I feel like in Seattle or something! The past few years have really sucked for a growing season. I recall when I first moved here, that there was alot of summer during the season. But now, it seems like its been getting shorter and shorter.

I've been kicking the idea around for different ways to protect our garden. Most we are going to have to worry about will be deer, birds and small critters. If I can source some poles out of the forest, and I think I have a good spot to get them this year, we will be putting up a barbless fence and then put up hotwire. Then on the bottom 4 feet put up some chicken wire. Then top it off with a scarecrow... We shall see!

I bought a dod kennel off craiglist for 50 bucks. This works since I have deer problems too.

I have a huge gopher problem too so I placed a metal floor inside with a 4x6 p.t. perimeter to keep them out.

Anyway I built walk around planter boxes on top of the metal floor and put in very rich soil. It does okay for a 10 x10.

I might cover the whole thing with plastic for a greenhouse next. I really need to build another one eventually

I

I'd love to build a big greenhouse! But deer problems can be remedied too! :evilgrin:  :gun:

• Staff

hexOrz, It's good your really getting into this. The doggone grocery bill is gettin up there... about $500 each month.

With a garden it's like free income from God and there's no taxes, except  we should be truely thankful.

Thanks for the thoughts on this because I'm going to do this more too.

:wow:  WOW! But how many people is that?

Between me and my wife, we were avg. $300 a month. That was with buying non-name brand products and occassional sales. We are probably doing about $100-150 now a month since we are "co-op" with the rest of the family. Meat is no longer on our grocery list unless its something we do not have like brats, etc. Except, I've got that coming off soon to as I have some grind that needs to made into brats since I accidentally added too much fat to our last years grind.

Gardening, is something I hope to do and be able to hide in it and reflect on more important things. Where I can find my peace and silence from this world and think about the blessings the Lord has given us. It also helps to graze on the plants a little too, haha!

I think what I will be doing with this thread here is use it as my gardening thread here soon. Showing what I've got and what I will be doing with it as I go. It will be interesting to see how it fares!

I'm trying to behave. :bolt:

Well, we've figured out where we wanna build our garden this year. Plotted an area of 60x70! I got a tree company lined up for dumping chips! Now I just need some warmer weather...

As well, were giving some thought to the fence as we are trying to figure out how to keep the deer out. I went to a local farm and feed store and I think I'm gonna have to wait until their sales go on as its spendy for some deer fencing.

Were gonna go up into the mountains when we can and pull out some wood that I know of that can be used for fencing. My BIL works at an HVAC place that deals with large units and they come on pallets around 16' or longer! So I should be getting my hands on some of this free lumber for the fencing and making my beehives!

Edited by hex0rz

• 1 month later...

I mulch with grass clippings and use a bunch of drip hose to deliver stinky sulfur water from my old well to the plants.

When aphids get too abundant, I find ladybugs and set them on the plants...they really like to eat aphids.

I can go on about gardening...it's my 2nd hobby.

I fail miserably at starting plants indoors.

I'll likely try a fluoresent light close to the grow kit plants next winter.

The local Lowes and nearby nursuries have good plants at the start of the growing season here.

I're read that putting black plastic sheeting in the rows you're going to plant, warms the ground so you'll get an earlier start.

Have you heard of that? 

I have. But I believe its just about getting the suns heat to keep the frost down.

My mother in law has been kicking the idea around, and I've seen it done before as a kid, but you take PVC and plastic and make a little greenhouse for the seedlings until its warm enough to take them off for the grow season.

I guess I need to start looking at a good homemade greenhouse idea. When I was doing glass, we had 5x10 foot insulated units that were rejects. Could have taken them home for free and done a greenhouse. Except I could not imagine paying to replace one if it ever broke! I'd have to patch it and make it into a smaller hole!