• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 Cummins Fuel In Engine Oil

Got a 2002 cummins that's getting fuel in my engine oil. Put new injectors in and ran for 200 miles and it's doing it again. I've put dye in the fuel and let it idle but I cannot see where's it's leaking. Any thoughts?

If its fuel in the oil then you are probably having fuel leaking from the injectors. Are they remanufactured injectors, or NEW? Did you change the crank oil after replacing the injectors? What type of injectors did you buy specifically?

Other then that, I really cannot see fuel getting into the oil other than maybe somewhere in the crossover tube area... Are you sure its fuel? Did you do a paper towel drop test for a basic troubleshoot?

I changed the oil. They are brand new bosch rv275's. New orings on crossover tubes. Been told from cummins fourm that possibility of the front seal on the vp44. Don't know if this is common or not. And I know it's fuel because it smells of fuel.

2002 QCLB 2500 Cummins. Auto, autometer cobalt gauges (fuel pressure, boost, pyro, trans temp), 4" exhaust, J-hooked, leveled, edge comp hot, other wise stock for now

89 Cherokee on 84 Toyota frame. 4bt cummins NV4500. Sittin on super duty axles and 37 BFGs

• Like 1

What he said^^^^^ plus Just an FYI if you didn't know but most dyes require a black light to see the source of the leak, look for the glow. Could be a bad crossover tube where it seats against the injector body too.

Edited by Wild and Free

Hmm, crav70, explain to us the process in which you replaced the injectors. Because they need to be done in a certain order to have a proper seating... If its not a pi$$ing injectors or any fault in the process of replacement, I'm out of an idea on what it could be...

If connector tube was bad, it wouldnt show in oil. It would go back through injector return. Reason I say this, you dont have any oil touching the connector tube.

Could be a combo issue, bad seat and o-ring. Brain fart there but hey it is totally possible. :whistle2:

This is what happens when I stay up too late after having to get up at 4am for work.. :kick:

Edited by Wild and Free

Well it was doing it before I swapped injectors. Truck has 94000. Got a new vp early last year. I put the new injectors in all greased up. Put the hold downs on but didn't tighten. Installed connector tubes and lines. Tightened hold downs to 89 inch pounds. And I was using a black light. I believe it's a high pressure leak. I know it's not common rail pressure but I can't get it to leak at idle so idk what else it would be

Edited by crav70

• Owner

There is only a few places where few can get back in.

1. Injector body O-Rings

2. VP44 front seal

3. Stuck Open Injector

So I suggest you pull all 6 injections out have them pop tested. While they are out you can replace all the injector body o-rings.

As for the front seal of the VP44 typically that will rupture for pressures in excess of 20 PSI some get luck and don't have a issues and others don't have any luck.

What struck me as a strong culprit from your last post was you said you "Greased" the O-rings up good.

A small amount of engine oil just enough to make them moist is all that's needed, too much grease in an enclosed spot can and will cause issues you are seeing too.

There is only a few places where few can get back in.

1. Injector body O-Rings

2. VP44 front seal

3. Stuck Open Injector

So I suggest you pull all 6 injections out have them pop tested. While they are out you can replace all the injector body o-rings.

As for the front seal of the VP44 typically that will rupture for pressures in excess of 20 PSI some get luck and don't have a issues and others don't have any luck.

Do you mean 20 PSI of lift pump pressure? I just want to clarify is all, thanks.

"recent new VP"

somebody   put  the  front   seal in wrong, or  damaged it  during  assembly- or  reused  original    

I  always  tighen  cross over tubes  first,  THEN   torque the  injector.

Too much   grease will  hydraulic  the oring  right out of the  groove.

Gotta be  one of those  3

you  said  "its doing it again'....... makes me  lean  towards the  front seal...   your  injector   replacement  didn't  fix  the  problem  the  first time.

Edited by rancherman