• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Start Run 10 15 Seconds Then Die

my 98 Ram 2500 24 v started ran for stated time then died not to start again 2nd time it has done this this winter both after some pretty extreme cold spells last time -8 wondering if its not water freezing in fuel line suggestions please last time I took out ASD relay cleaned charged batteries and she fired right up covered in snow at present so IO guess its a better day project at this point

What temps are you seeing and what part of the country are you from?

If you suspect gelled fuel pull your first fuel filter coming off the tank (if completely stock it will be your OEM filter).

Anytime you see forecasted temps 15 to 20 degrees below average its a good idea to treat the fuel in your tank.

This cold snap is affecting alot of people, yesterday morning coming into work at 4 am there were 2 tanker trucks pulled over on the side of the road, both headed for my plant. I saw them later and asked if their fuel gelled on them, yep. Once it happens it can be a real pain to get back on the road.

I would agree that you probably had some fuel gelling up on ya. If you are running straight #2 anything colder than maybe 15 degrees is to cold. Check the filters and get some good antigel in there. That should fix your issue.

What was your fuel pressure looking like when it died on ya?

I run nothing but #2 here and have ran it with no anti gel additives down to 0 to a few below. We have seen a few days/nights of -12 to -14 and the offroad fuel at work which was untreated did not gel either. I've ran probably 75 gallons through the 9130 in the last 2 days trouble free. It just depends on how its treated at the rack.

• Staff

How old is the fuel in your tank?

I run nothing but #2 here and have ran it with no anti gel additives down to 0 to a few below. We have seen a few days/nights of -12 to -14 and the offroad fuel at work which was untreated did not gel either. I've ran probably 75 gallons through the 9130 in the last 2 days trouble free. It just depends on how its treated at the rack.

Your station is blending it for you, no way to run #2 at 0° without blending or chemically winterizing. I have seen very few stations advertize their fuel as winterized, but they all do it based on local climate. The only ones that don't are the ones that sell #1 and #2, even then some of the #2 is treated or it wouldn't pump thru any exposed filters.

I was wondering about this. The whole time I have owned my truck  have never noticed going any where that had a #1 and #2 pump. All I ever remember seeing is the #2 pumps. I have been in a few places where the temps would get down to the low teens to 0, but not a steady diet of this. The first 8 years of ownership was spent up and down the east coast. Gets a little colder up in the NE, but I never went beyond NJ. I am just gong to have to assume the very few times I was in very cold locations the fuel was winterized and I just dd not know it. I was pretty naive about all this stuff until I found this group and am grateful to be here. Now I will be worried about it any time I am in the colder areas. I will sorely miss the "Ignorance is bliss" that I have gotten away with for so long.

• Like 1

I hung iron for 14 years for a company that is owned by a local man who also owns a large construction buisiness and 2 gas stations. He owns a fleet of trucks as well as a slew of large equipment so he is always in touch with whats getting dropped in his tanks at the stations as they are his source of fuel for everything. The word from him is no #1/#2 blend, strictly treated #2. 2 types of wax crystal modifiers to prevent gelling and an alcohol free de icer. I can't speak for other local stations but this is where I get my fuel from, and coincidentally who delivers fuel to the company I'm with now.

Only place I can find  separate  #1  and  #2   is  an actual  truck stop.  (besides  what  I have delivered here But,  it's  RED  :whistle:... )    The   in-town  pumps   might have  diesel,  but  one pump/nozzle.   

If all else fails,    I'll  use   a little  kerosene.

Only place I can find  separate  #1  and  #2   is  an actual  truck stop.  (besides  what  I have delivered here But,  it's  RED  :whistle:... )    The   in-town  pumps   might have  diesel,  but  one pump/nozzle.   

If all else fails,    I'll  use   a little  kerosene.

Same here, only #1 available at the pump locally is heating oil/off road fuel.

Closupman,

your  10 second  run time   sound  just like  mine the other day.   You used up  what  fuel  that was  in the line between  the filter and  IP.

Earlier this  winter,   mine did it  because I was  caught with my pants down and below zero  temps...(fuel wise that is)      My   lift pump  was running,  but  very little  was  getting to the  IP....    I had  slime on the filter  (wax).        You might be far enough south  in Ill.   to not have  quite enough  #1   blended.  

Then,  after   getting the right fuel, new filter,   and  plenty of additive to  'melt' the cloudy fuel already in the tank...   It's  been  good  until  yesterday!  ('nother issue!)