• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front Brake Hose Replacement

2 questions

1) How to determine which hose I need based on ABS ..... rear wheel or four wheel ABS

eg There are about 9 variations of this on rockauto ...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2159754&cc=1362057

2) How to remove and install ... rusty on mine ...... never done it but assume like most things its relatively simple ....... any special tools or requirements

thx

I ordered my hoses through NAPA, the only questions they asked me was year, model, and front/rear abs....

The connection on the frame rail of mine was rather stubborn as they had most likely not been apart in 13+ years. Once I had the end off the caliper, I opened up the cap on the master cylinder and heated the fitting up with a torch (I have a pencil tip for doing small things like this)

It spun right apart, and probably saved me from having to replace the hard lines as I'm sure I would have wound up twisting the line, or rounding the nut off, or something else.Once apart I just cleaned the lines up with a wire brush and applied a touch of anti sieze at the end of the line to prevent the nut from siezing up on the line again. I do that on all my brake line fittings and it saves me alot of headaches down the road, but being where you are it may not be necessary. I also flushed my brake fluid at that time.

Anti sieze is one of the best things ever!! On your truck John, look at the pictures on the site and you should be able to get the correct one. Once you have it the rest is simple parts changing.

truck_rust_issue.jpg

Good Gawd John when was the last time you gave that thing a rust treatment?

This and the front spindle/bearings are the worst of it. I'll replace the front when I do ball joints not yet needed. Worst is right here .. I found prebent stainless steel brake lines for 400 if I need else might just flare and run them myself.

Basically brake lines and power steering lines ... worst In the pic

• Owner
Btw what do you mean by rust treatment

POR15 or some waste engine oil.

Mike;  you've obviously never lived in the "rust belt".  That's actually not too bad for around here!!!

I do live in the rust belt I just keep the truck washed off.

suggestion to John is remove the line if you can and take it into a part store and get part numbers at least even if they don't stock it. Then you can use them as a cross reference to RockAuto or similar places.

POR15 or some waste engine oil.

I do live in the rust belt I just keep the truck washed off.

suggestion to John is remove the line if you can and take it into a part store and get part numbers at least even if they don't stock it. Then you can use them as a cross reference to RockAuto or similar places.

Yeah I have some POR 15 in shed ......

Hard to remove the line and then move the truck though ....... dont have easy access to other vehicle :)

Will let you know part # when I do it ....... just wanted to make sure there were no special tools required or any hints .....