• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Take the box off or leave it on?

I was just wondering if anybody has taken the box off of one of the newer style Dodge Pickups 94 and up? When I was installing propane and natural gas systems and the tanks on vehicles many years ago we found it alot easier to install the fuel systems with the box off. I didn't do a newer style Dodge at that time. At that time 4 guys would pick it up and another would push the truck forward and put two saw horses under the box where we would set it down. I need to do the sending unit and new fuel lift pump system so that is why I was wondering how easy these boxes come off. It's so much easier to work standing up.

The bed isn't that hard to remove. You have to remove 8 retaining bolts (6 on short bed), a ground strap, wiring for the lights, fuel fill hose and breather and the spare tire rod. I think that's it. I made a jig out of dimensional lumber and used an engine hoist to lift it and drove the truck out from under the bed with one person holding the bed steady. I'm just not sure if it's easier than dropping the tank. The bed bolts, wiring, spare tire rod and wiring also requires working on your back under the truck. It's not real difficult to drop the tank if it's low on fuel. I use a tranny jack to lower it. Than again, not having the bed mounted will make installing the fuel pump, pump bracket, wiring and fuel hoses easier. I'm torn.

I like the idea of using an engine hoist. I could borrow one since I don't own my own anymore. I guess I could do my u-joints and hanger bearing at the same time and make it a little more worth the hassle of pulling the box off. I'm getting old and tired of laying on my back under vehicles unless they are paying me lots of $$$$$$$$.

having changed a bunch of chevy fuel pumps...i didn't think it was that bad(that is dropping the tank). my truck is NOT 4x4 and not lifted. i didn't even jack her up until the tank was on the ground. doing the airdog install took ~45 minutes until we were ready to bleed(i did have a buddy's help, he was dieing to know why i spent so much on a fuel pump). that includes drilling a new hole in the tank for the 1/2" draw straw. you are going to be on your back either way...unless you have access to a lift.Dan...why are you changing your hanger bearing(i assume that is the hanger in the center of the 2 rear shafts?)? how do you come to realize they were bad?

• Owner

I've had my tank out 2 times now and can do a fuel sender change in under 1 hour... That includes pumping the tank dry, pulling the carrier bearing, filler hose, unscrew the sender nut and then drop the 2 fuel tank straps... Bam! it on the floor... I got smart thuogh... I bought the beer and invited a friend over to help me... He said here hold my beer and check this out... Funny part was it went in really easy I held the beer, the video camera, and watched...:lmao2:

post-2-138698163092_thumb.jpg