• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First Time Towing- Is My Power Curve Normal?

UPDATE:  I re-installed everything and took it for a test loop. No more defueling, tons of power! First time I took the truck to 3K rpm and it was still pulling hard.  It was definitely worth the effort because I thought it was the trans just not being able to take the motor. 

Won't do much more than keep the CEL from lighting up. It will not extend your fueling map. So your fuel map will still tapper off at the same point just no error codes. 

Well I'll be the monkey here ........ I thought the boost fueling not only prevented CEL ... but also prevented defuel due to MAP sensor too high.

eg ...

http://www.madselectronics.com/faq.html

• Yes, all the the softwares in Smarty have modified boost tables in order to allow higher boost without defuelling.

^^ Indficates to me that if you exceed the MAP and overboost you will defuel - hence require boost fooler.

Also .... with regard to the gate ..... generally on a stock auto there is not enough fuel to push well past the gate settings. What I mean is if your set at 25psi ...... even at full fuel youll be lucky to get to 35psi. So thats not a huge drop in performance.  So the only thing that makes sense to me here is the gate wasn't closed ... it was in fact open ........ so it just added extra lag and EGT to the truck ..........

OP - if you want your truck to really do what its capable of with pulling and driving ..... the same mods are night and day. In fact ... if you can find someone with a smarty that will download onto your truck to let you take it for a ride .... then take it off ..... best way to test if you like it or not ........ you dont want to keep it on without a trans VB at minimum.

Edited by JOHNFAK

• Owner

Different story using a Smarty vs. a MAP Sensor boost fooler.

With Smarty they are rewriting the fuelling table to continue fuelling to its limits without a over boost code but make use of the last enter holding max fuelling.

Now with a MAP sensor boost fooler the fuel table is unchanged and has the stock tapper off effect designed into it.

In either case there is much more than 22-25 PSI (unknown exact number) as a limit on the ECM fueling table. Beyond that there is no more table. There isn't the room hardware wise to extend the table either.

But if hes throwing a P0234 - then he wont be able to fuel to normal fuel table correct ? Meaning he needs a boost fooler so that he can extend is MAP pressure without defueling.

Then the gate ....... if it was fully closed it would result in quicker spool and higher boost ............

So I still only see 2 reasons for symptoms .....

1) his gate was open and lag from being open feels like loss of power .....

2) His gate was closed ..... he over boosted the MAP ... triggered a P0234 and defueled.

He doesn't have boost fooling ...... so thats why he triggered the code.

Gate was stuck closed- hard.  No CEL, only knew it from the key trick. Truck would die after 2200, thought it was just how these trucks with autos were- I just sold a Super Duty and got the Cummins 800 miles ago.

Waste gate cleaned and functional now, truck pulls well into 3K rpm range.  0234 MAP over boost, not sure if the code will go away on its own or not.

I don't have any fooler or programmer, but thought it would be a cool option because of the stories of people breaking off the arm trying to free the gate, since some people j-hook and fool for more power.  Problem is if you j-hook and don't fool your truck is a code-throwing dog. 

Either way , that's the down low. 

AP

• Owner

P0234 means he past the usable fuel table and went into the red zone fuel table when starts cutting fuel.

Like saying for example... 18 PSI = 100%, 19 PSI = 100%, 20 PSI = 100%, 21 PSI = 50%, 22 PSI = 25% (Unknown to actual settings)

So as he gaining boost the stock ECM table starts cutting fuel to protect itself. But now add a boost fooler (plugin between ECM and MAP sensor) which is nothing more than a regulator it will stop at about 18-19 PSI it might fuel past it a bit more but the ECM is blind and can't figure any more than 18-19 PSI and timing for such.

Then the gate ....... if it was fully closed it would result in quicker spool and higher boost ............

Quick to 18-19 PSI after than it would fall on its face.

1) his gate was open and lag from being open feels like loss of power .....

Rare but possible.

2) His gate was closed ..... he over boosted the MAP ... triggered a P0234 and defueled.

Which is the most common.