• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad Oil Leak

Ok so recently changed the front crank seal on my 01 24v and discovered I need a new balancer and a sleeve for the crank but now I have a much bigger issue. Shortly after I replaces that seal a new leak appeared coming from right above the oil feed line for the power steering pump. And its a visible flow no mistaking where the source is. My question is what am I looking at right there? I can see a seem like you would see for a head gasket but I don't think the head reaches down that far. I've heard the kdp horror stories but this doesn't seem to match up with that problem. Thanks in advance for yalls help!

I just replaced mine and was surprised to how many leaks it made me think I had. I would leave several spots on the ground from across the front of the engine, down the driver's side to dripping off the bell housing, tranny, skid plate and what not. It started washing the underside with oil. The tappet cover gasket stopped it all.

If your going to trust a shop to work on your truck I suggest looking around for a diesel repair shop. Your typical automotive repair place thats used to wrenching on Civics and Grand Caravans will not have alot if any experience working on much of anything on these trucks, particularly the engine.

If you are capable with a wrench and have time it is not difficult to do yourself.One member here said he did his in a little over half a day. Me, I spent 2 days. The VP is the part I was most careful with. The gasket is not expensive its the labor to take everything off to get to it that is.

Unfortunately I work more than 70hrs a week right now so I have been using the local dodge dealership but when I brought it back to them to diagnose the leak they told me I would have to replace the balancer and fix the groove in the crank. I suspect they didn't even look at the truck, just pulled their records and recommendations and fed that to me.

I understand the long hours. I see them more than I like. I got lucky and had a few days off with decent weather. The quart of oil I was going thru every 300 to 350 miles plus the footprint iwas leaving every where was the final straw.

I noticed in your first post that you replaced the front crank seal. Did you or the dealer do that?

Why won't they warranty their work since they didn't fix it right in the first place?

This is one instance where paying by CC is preferred, reject the payment to them at that point, they have nothing to stand on at that point unless it was stated up front there is no warranty or a time limit on work done.

They won't warranty it because I chose not to let them replace my balancer for $700. They wouldn't sleeve it unless I replaced the balancer but they went ahead and replaced my seal knowing that it will eventually go out due to the vibration. Like I said before they didn't even look when I brought it back a second time to diag the new leak because they quoted me a new balancer for the leak.

They filled you with BS and non truths and should pay to fix it the right way, the balancer has nothing to do with a seal leak as the engine is internally balanced this is a "Harmonic balancer"  to take out just that, the harmonics that don't play well with other components over time. But if it was still attached to the crank it was still working. It has nothing to do with having a groove worn in the crank from normal high mileage use and wear. :banghead:

I would be filing a small claims suit against them for that one they flat out lied to you!!!!!!

The name of the place needs to be made public for the rest of the world to stay away from hands down.

Edited by Wild and Free

It was Team Dodge in Huntsville Tx. I put it in specifically for the front seal but they never even bothered with a quote on anything else such a the rear main that's leaking. The balancer is bad though the rubber is starting to bubble out from the oil my blow by valve let out before I fixed it. But I replace that myself later. The tappet or push rod cover is what I'm worried about