• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wh1C Hybrid

Just installed a genuine holset 60mm compressor wheel and housing on the WH1C, from GDS. I believe it was a 56/60/12 and now it's a 60/60/12. Only took it on a small victory ride but it seemed to pull better in lock up in the lower rpms and up high too. Already had a boost elbow and a 38 lb spring waste gate.

post-1611-0-68935900-1391221014_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-69622700-1391221215_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-61806300-1391221080_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-90023600-1391221320_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-55815300-1391221468_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-74183900-1391220924_thumb.jp

I was wondering if anyone has experience with hybrids and how efficient they are for around 400 horsepower. With my current mods: edge comp, 60 hp injectors I should have around 415 hp at the crank and I'm done increasing power. No sled pulls or track time, is the 60mm compressor too much for 12cm turbine housing?...no gauges yet

What? No gauges?!

Ya I know, ev2s or evs are my next purchase. I'm leaning towards evs from other members saying mechanical gauges are more reliable than electric. But I've driven like a normal human being and no heat, fuel or boost issues so far

Edited by CTcummins24V

Well, I've got 2 isspro's and they're EV2's. One is my EGT guage and uses a K-type thermocouple so it does not have an amplifier box. My other one is a trans. temp gauge and it does not have anything either. The only power they receive is just for the backlighting on the gauge face. Maybe their fuel pressure gauges are electrical on the EV2 series? I doubt boost would be of any electrical...

It seems as though I'm getting the infamous "compressor surge" from my hybrid. When on half throttle or better, in 3rd or 4th gear so far, it sounds like the compressor is fluttering. No problems during normal driving, no "bark" on let off. Upon acceleration and some throttle around 2000 rpm +/- the turbo is making some funny noise which I never had before. Surge?

Bark with an HX35 at that low of boost? Do 12vs operate that much differently than 24vs?

There goes those gauges again...maybe for tax returns (gauges are my next purchase, after an oil pressure sensor).

After doing some more reading, I'm still thinking the 60mm compressor is pushing more air than the 12cm housing can exhaust and the back pressure is going to compressor and hence surging. Upgrade to 14cm housing? I know everyone will say get an s300 platform with a stronger shaft and what not, but I've already gone this far with my WH1C and I'd like to make her work.

The only reason it barks like that that I can come up with it when it goes into O/D it shifts so quick and is so solid the engine RPM drops and the load changes real quick. When I am towing I just lock out O/D and get up to about 2200 RPM or so in 3rd, let off the throttle and reach over and hit the button. Then I just ease back in to it and go like I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a used holset 14cm non-wastegated turbine housing from gillett diesel to help keep the turbo from surging under acceleration and higher boost and...the housing they gave me has cracks in it. I installed it anyways just to see how it performs and if I need to return it I should know to upgrade to a 16cm or throw some more money for a wastegated 14cm. Anyways, it has hammer marks on the outside, no biggie, but there are two cracks on the inside where it meets the center section. Is this housing shot or can I run it? I already took a small ride and no issues but is this housing going to crack through and blow up and take out my turbine blade?

post-1611-0-69178600-1392861685_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-11397300-1392861753_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-21179400-1392861839_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-82713100-1392861912_thumb.jp

My 60-60-14wg hybrid doesn't surge when I run it. It works good w/Edge Comp and jammer 100's.

I set the boost at 40psi.

My Cat/Borg-Warner C300/62-65-.70ar  has small cracks in the exhaust housing but are getting no worse the past 3 years.

Edited by Clunk

I like to keep my money and manage it myself, you get no benefit from overpaying, I like to manage and save so If I do have to pay in it won't be much but at least I had the benefit of investing and making a bit of profit from it rather than giving it to the government to hold for free.

Then you could have had the money for gauges already............................................. :tongue:  :bolt:

Dont get me started on government and money. I've worked for small business and do contract work, i know all about workmans comp, special assessment taxes, insurances and i live in CT...pretty much liberal capitol of the US...hence my current job search in the midwest/southeast, anywhere outside the rust belt/northeast

• Like 1

I keep as much of my money and ALL my guns in my house with me and my family. :cool:

CT I know you don't have any gauges but I think your surging problem is dealing with drive pressure/boost pressure the so the goal that guys are trying to get to is a 1/1 ratio of boost pressure to drive pressure...

low drive pressure = low boost

high drive pressure = high boost pressure

fluctuating drive pressure = surging on the turbo

with your 4" exhaust is it straight pipe or does it have a muffler?

It has a muffler. Now that you say that, it surges the worst at highways speeds when I go to accelerate to pass someone on the highway. From a stand still to acceleration it seems to fine. Cruising at 65 mph on the highway is fine but as soon as I give it some fuel it starts fluttering. I'm going to put my 56mm compressor back on in a couple minutes...