• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Possible Causes Of Blow By

washout996

I have an 03 dually with the 5.9 Cummins and 6 spd manual. There is some blowby, not bad but enough to notice it when the truck is idling and you look under the front. I found some seals and an open ended ring in the dash pocket when I bought he truck, I wonder if the turbocharger seals were changed and not put back right, and if that is causing my blowby. (See the bottom cause in the chart)

Anybody have any thoughts on this ?

post-2269-0-04380200-1391439378_thumb.jp

So starting a newly acquired truck with injector testing my be advisable. Then any noticeable change in performance would indicate possible trouble. I'm just going to replace mine with 50-75+ injectors and be done with it for a while. Are new injectors pop tested for matching purposes?

No 3rd gens arent popped tested since they are electronic. They test spray pattern, spray volumn, return, and some other stuff. Gotta be careful on which injectors you buy, there are lots of junk rebuilds out there. The only ones i use are bosch rebuilds (rebuilt by bosch) or i am going to start pushing the big bang injectors since they are completly brand new

• Owner

If I thought there was excessive blow by this thing I would do is take all 6 injectors out and have them pop tested being 99.9% of all CR engine cylinder issues are from injector failure. Then while the injectors where out I would do a compression test and see if you can reach a normal 450-475 PSI worth of cylinder pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

I was about ready to shell out 5 grand for a complete engine rebuild, so I figured Why Not ? and I popped for the $177 bucks for Cer-Tech Gels kit. I followed the instructions to the T, adding 1 tube of Gel, driving about 100 miles and then adding the other 3 tubes. It's been a little over 900 miles now, and the blowby is gone. No more white smoke coming from underneath my truck, No more burnt oil smell when I shut it down and open the door to slide out. You might ask how long it will last ? That's a good question. The rep I talked to at Cer-Tech when I bought it claims it will last up to 100 thousand miles, but it will take years for me to put that many miles on my truck so the jury will remain out for now. If your dealing with Blowby, your going to have to make the call on your own on this one, but I will tell you that it seems to have worked for me.

• Like 1