• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

911 help, dying computer, how to quick backup everything?

May be a stupid question, but have you checked to make sure your fans are all clean and working so it's not just overheating ?

I blow my PC out with shop air a couple times a year and the last time was just a few weeks ago. I still hear the fan run like normal. :shrug:

It is really hit and miss, works perfect for a long time and then just locks up out of the blue, restart it a couple of times and then the same again.

I did do the safe start and did a recover two times to before this happened and I keep getting a message that the recovery process has failed for redundancy reasons :think:

Repair shop "Geek squad at best buy" called and the hard drive is failing, going to buy the one year service contract for 199 which covers 3 seperate devices which we have and replace the hard drive with a 1 terra byte drive for 80 bucks. all for about 300 bucks, should have it back in a day or two.

• Owner

Repair shop "Geek squad at best buy" called and the hard drive is failing, going to buy the one year service contract for 199 which covers 3 seperate devices which we have and replace the hard drive with a 1 terra byte drive for 80 bucks. all for about 300 bucks, should have it back in a day or two.

:duh:

Seriously. If you had Linux installed the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) would of warned you long before the drive was dying and given you more than enough warning to backup data before it failed. Like the 250 GB drive on my desk it fail this winter in the shop computer and both BIOS showed the failure and so did Linux at boot time then impending drive failure is going to happen backup now before the drive starts to fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. <- Read more...

What is really weird is Microsoft doesn't use SMART technology in Windows software other than the Scan Disk for error but there is no software within Windows to monitor SMART status of the drives unless you purchase the software and install it. :rolleyes:

post-1-0-32318100-1395240821_thumb.png

After talking to the Geek squad they could partition the hard drive and have both Linux and the newest windows 8 both loaded but am thinking I will wait and do Linux when this one dies for good.

It doesn't cost anymore to do right now though.............Thoughts, I don't know what a partitioned hard drive is or how it would affect how I use it. :shrug:

• Owner

Here is a partition drive.

post-1-0-81710300-1394937946_thumb.png

What partition drives do is is separate data logically so it can be two different file format say Linux or Windows. May even just separating data like I've done. There is a performance gain to separate partitions being the index is smaller it quicker to find data. In my layout I moved static stored files like pictures, videos, music and other thing like that away from the system so fragmentation didn't occur which is a big problem for Windows but not on Linux. But keeping the partition is still handy because the static files stay out of the way.

As for Linux relax and install it. It will dual boot with Windows very good. Not to mention Linux can see and use all your Windows files. But Windows can't use or even see Linux. So Linux is very universal for OS software.
  • Like 1

Called the geek squad and will have windows8 and linux installed and partitioned even though I have no clue what I am looking at or doing. Guess I have more learning to do, I have no clue what I am seeing in your screen shot of your partitioned drive either?

• Owner

Total drive size is 1,000 GB or 1 TB...

First block is Root which is 83 GB in size. Root is where all the Ubuntu Linux program files are stored.

Second block is Home which is 99 GB in size. Home is where all your personal folders and data is stored.

Third block is Swap which is 5.4 GB in size. Swap is what windows calls virtual memory. But in Ubuntu its rarely even used.

... on and on...

Thing is Windows would assign a drive letter to every partition. So root would be C: and home would be D: and so forth. In Ubuntu Linux there is no drive letters just folders. What great about this is you can force commonly changing data forward on the drive giving it better access time where storage stuff like music and download a spot to the back of the drive where it doesn't need the boost. This is true for Windows NTFS system but now with Linux Ext4 format data is written differently it starts in the middle of the disc and works outwards. So Ubuntu Linux typically has faster drive timings compared to Windows and no fragmentation problem like Windows NTFS does.

Brief article on installing a Ext4 Hard drive.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive

Some conversation on NTFS (Windows) vs. Ext4 (Linux)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1786501

Might help you.

I strongly agree.  At one time I had my tower under my desk & it choked with dust & lint.  I had to disassemble (unplug everything & open the case) power off of course, clean with alcohol, Q tips, tooth brushes & air.  And relocated it to the top of the desk.   My wife's brother has cooked a number of laptops & refuses to shut them off when not needed for long periods & ventilate underneath.  Harder to do with laptops but power down, remove battery, open every access & remove dust & lint.  Oh, well, he can afford to replace them. 

I think they need to find someone who actually wants to work period. I went in and checked on it in person today which makes a week since taking it in, 3 geeks just sitting on their back sides looking bored and one goes back and checks, comes back and says it is on the repair bench for repair but couldn't tell me when it would be done, all depended on how busy they are at the counter. They were all very busy alright............ keeping the chairs warm with their fat back sides and picking their noses when I walked out in disgust.