• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

911 help, dying computer, how to quick backup everything?

Well Best Buy is oficcially on my $#** list.  10 day since dropping it off and yesterday I call and they say it will be ready. I have melt down and let them know I have not been happy with chain of events. Wife went got it after another whole story about that I won't get into, we are going to have a sit down with store manager tomorrow and have a come to jesus speech. Get it home and it doesn't even boot up now, starts to boot and goes to a blank black screen every time.

Going to get a refund from service contract and have them return the new hard drive and go and buy a brand new PC tomorrow somewhere else, most likely Staples, they have a pretty good rep her in town and better customer service.

Any advice on a good brand of home PC and what options to get? Primary web browsing and soon to e used for streaming video for tv as we do not have satelite or cable, looking at getting ROKU through our local phone IT provider.

Also simple word and basic program use, nothing spectacular.

Well Best Buy is oficcially on my $#** list.  10 day since dropping it off and yesterday I call and they say it will be ready. I have melt down and let them know I have not been happy with chain of events. Wife went got it after another whole story about that I won't get into, we are going to have a sit down with store manager tomorrow and have a come to jesus speech. Get it home and it doesn't even boot up now, starts to boot and goes to a blank black screen every time.

I had a feeling it would go like this. Generally if you want a decent computer a computer store or shop would be your best bet. Do you have the original set up disks that came with the old computer? If you do you can re-image a new hard drive and get it up and running or you can download a bootable Linux disk and run it that way. Michael would be able to assist you there.

They had all of the backup and start up discs in hand for the hard drive swap from when we bought it there new, they did this as part of the initial sale and setup of the computer,Still didn't help any, they claim they clean out all of the unneeded stuff that comes preloaded on the computer to speed it up, it was trouble free for 3 years until this. . Just gonna scrap it and go with new after we get a refund tomorrow. They are getting their hard drive back and we are getting a refund for the service contract they sold us as well. They will get to keep the original diagnostic fee and thats it. We have a few custom computer shops here as well but everyone I talk to says they are almost twice the price for a computer from them as from a retail store.

Best Buy rechecked the issue this a.m. and found the RAM was bad also, not sure why they didn't catch it during diagnostic and why they sent it out not working, they refunded me everything no questions asked including diagnostic fee for not catching the issue and the hassle it caused.

So off to other stores for a brand new PC.

• Owner

That's a big problem with laptops. Laptops are very limited for ventilation so after while the vent plug up with dust and lint and BOOM! The whole laptop is fried from overheat. What is funny all computer today have heat management of some sort. Linux can monitor with a Conky panel and you able to watch CPU and Hard Drive temps and keep things from over heating. I know Windows can too but even back in the day the programs seem to be limited for what they can see and what hardware. Something to think about.

The one I was having issues with was an Asus desk top pc. Went to Staples and ordered a Lenovo 535 desk top, AMD A10 5500 processor, 8gig memory and 2 tb hd, windows 8.1, was on sale for 500&change. They can not add Linux because it is free and they are retail store. Added a 2 year extended warranty and added 2 year contract of sophos antivirus protection aswell. Bought a new battery back up surge protector and a new set of speakers as wife a I streama lot of music and wanted better sound than the 2 bitty speakers we had for years. Will have themdo the setuup and have the end of next week hopefully.

• Owner

The one I was having issues with was an Asus desk top pc. Went to Staples and ordered a Lenovo 535 desk top, AMD A10 5500 processor, 8gig memory and 2 tb hd, windows 8.1, was on sale for 500&change. They can not add Linux because it is free and they are retail store. Added a 2 year extended warranty and added 2 year contract of sophos antivirus protection aswell. Bought a new battery back up surge protector and a new set of speakers as wife a I streama lot of music and wanted better sound than the 2 bitty speakers we had for years. Will have themdo the setuup and have the end of next week hopefully.

Same here when I bought mine from Staples they will not touch the PC software. But as a end user you can do what you wish to it for software.