• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

start/no start I thingk it has a mind of its own...

So over the past few days i have been dealing with an issue with my truck. Sometimes it starts when i put the key in and turn it sometimes it doesn't... this morning fine, this afternoon fine tonight at the fuel station nothing. the only why to get it to start is jumper across the terminal at the starter with the key on.... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Do the autos have a switch on the shifter that prevents it from starting unless it is in park or neutral?  The reason I ask is we have tractors with switch's that will not allow it to start unless it is in park and/or neutral.  As they get older sometimes you need to wiggle the shifter to start it. 

Edited by ABennin

I tried starting it in neutral and still nothing, I'll try tilting the steering wheel and see if that changes anything. If the starter was bad I didn't think I could jump the battery cable to the starter solenoid and get it to start??? to me it seams like I'm loosing the 12+ to the starter from the key?? I tried replacing the starter relay in the PDC on the fender well and that didn't change anything.

Yep. Column wires are pretty common to break. What about the ignition switch itself? If there is a way to check if you are getting power down to the starter when you turn the key I would be checking that. If not, gotta start working your way back up the line until you get power.

I recently had a similar issue with a car and I went down every road for months trying to troubleshoot my problem.  My car would start sometimes and other times I got nothing.  I spent too much time and over thought it.  Put a volt meter on your battery and see if you are losing volts after shut down.  My car would drop down very quickly to around 10.5ish and then stay there.  If I had the hood light on or radio it depleated much quicker to that level.  It was very odd at the time and now looking back and feel silly for not looking into the battery at first.  I couldn't get over it starting fine sometimes and then not starting during others.  Every time I jumbered across the leads on the starter my car started right up as well, it is no fun chasing down gremlins.  Just my two cents, Keep it Simple.