Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4X4 problems

I would check the front axle CAD"central axle disconnect" on the right hand axle tube, keep it in 4X4 Jack up the front end and turn the right front tire and see if it turns the other tire in opposite direction. If the other tire doesn't turn then the CAD isn't working which could be a few different issues from vacuum switch to mechanical issue with cad locking collar.

Will do. Is that maybe where the line (vaccum i'm assuming) would be from that was hanging down this morning? It comes from some valve thingy attached to the right side of the axle tube. I couldn't figure out what that thing was and didn't see where it had broke off from. I did notice it had an electrical plug on it.

That could definately be the cause if it is a vacuum line. Not sure of the electric connector though. The CAD has 2 vacuum lines on it, one to engage and 1 to disengage and they come from the vacuum switch mounted on top of the T-case. To check if the vacuum switch is working you should have vacuum at 1 hose at the CAD in 4X4 and it should switch to the other line in 2wd but engine must be running to check for vacuum.

I have finally had time to put my truck inside and work on this problem. But i can't find where the line came disconnected from:banghead: Its a fairly big rubber line coming off the CAD about 2 feet long with a connector attached to the loose end. I've looked and looked under there but can't find a home for it. Any ideas? Thanks!

The vacuum lines are small steel lines that follow the frame the rubber lines are connected to the end of the steel lines at the CAD and at the T- case. The vacuum switch is on top of the T-case left side. That is where the lines all go to and come from. There are 4 lines at the switch, 1 vacuum supply and 2 switched lines to the CAD and a vent. After rereading the last comment you made I think you are referring to the front axle vent hose, it should just be clipped to the frame above the axle.

Thanks Wild and Free. That was the vent hose I was working on. Went to the neighbor who has a 1500 and it was the same on his. Now that everything is warmed up and thawed out the 4x4 seems to be working again. Am going to take it out and try it pretty soon.