• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4 thing that will kill a VP44...

1. Fuel pressure too low. Suggested: 14-20 PSI this is for Bosch requirements of 70% return rate for proper cooling and lubing.

2. Fuel Lubricity score too high. Suggested: <450 HFRR all US diesel fuel scores in about ~520 HFRR considered poor by Bosch's standards. Be careful of the products you select because some actually make the score worse.

3. Excessive AC Noise. Suggested: <0.1 Volts AC measured at the alternator BATT stud.

4. Poor Fuel filtration. Suggested: Using 2 fuel filters. Or even a good quality single filter with a 2-3 micron rating.

* footnote for #2 - A lot of products are either injector cleaner or cetane booster this is one product you need to try to avoid using because typically the higher the cetane the low BTU rating is of the diesel hence the MPG's fall then on top of it high cetane fuel in the summer tends increase injector noise.

You should never mix products together. Read over the SDS sheet and the chemicals. Then think of how those chemicals might react with the 2 cycle oil.

http://www.howeslube.com/MSDS_Sheets/US/Diesel_Treat_SDS_-_U.S.pdf

Item 2. Fuel Lubricity.  What product & quantity are you using?  I'd like to make sure I'm using the right stuff & correct amount.

Item 3. Excessive AC Noise. To check this can I simply use a multi meter set to AC volts?  Should I ground the multi meeter directly to the battery? or to the alternator housing?  Does it matter if checked at idle or should it be done at any certain rpm range?

Thanks!

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Correcting the quote

• Owner

Item 2. Fuel Lubricity.  What product & quantity are you using?  I'd like to make sure I'm using the right stuff & correct amount.

Item 3. Excessive AC Noise. To check this can I simply use a multi meter set to AC volts?  Should I ground the multi meeter directly to the battery? or to the alternator housing?  Does it matter if checked at idle or should it be done at any certain rpm range?

Thanks!

Item 2 - 2 Cycle oil. 128:1 ratio. Or 1 ounce of oil for every 1 gallon of fuel.

Item 3 - Check the AC noise at the BATT terminal on the alternator and the passenger battery ground or alternator ground (case). No need for change of RPM's idle should show it.