• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recommended Shocks

Hi everybody, it has been a while since my lasts post. i am looking at getting new shocks for my truck but i am having a hard time determining what equipment will fit my truck. i believe from what i have found is that i have a leveling kit in the front and stock supsension in the back. My question is to any of you that also have a leveling kit in the front. what shocks do you run? any info would be greatly appreciated.

My truck had Bilsteins on it when I got it way back in 2001 so I have no idea how old they are, but I can tell you the truck does not bounce like wore out shocks would let it!

That is the nice thing about monroe. I can look up by application and even dimension. Let me see if I can find one that would be a little longer than what the stock shock is.... I will get the part number to you in a bit.

Thanks for the tip! i called and had them look up a longer shock for me, unfourtunatly they dont have any that fit the bill. Thanks again though!

Edited by scummins

Well the shocks that are supposed to be the OE shock from monroe shows up as a 34778. I found another part number of 34782 that will mount the exact same, has the same compressed length, but has 2 more full inches of extended travel. That would probably be enough to compensate for the leveling kit.

Well the shocks that are supposed to be the OE shock from monroe shows up as a 34778. I found another part number of 34782 that will mount the exact same, has the same compressed length, but has 2 more full inches of extended travel. That would probably be enough to compensate for the leveling kit.

Great thanks for doing that research for me i agree that should work!

• Like 1

Back when Sears still offered lifetime warranty on shocks and struts I ran the rancho 5000's on several pickups over about a 15 year period and they all gave up the ghost at about 30-35K miles like clock work and always in the winter time. Go in warranty them out and go again, They quit offering the lifetime warranty about 3 years ago now so I quit running the Ranchos from sears at that point when I sold my 02.

I have adjustable height front Bilsteins on my 2010 1500 hemi and regular Bilsteins rears and they are the first set of them I have tried and like them so far but they have only been on for a few months so long term is still to be determined.

On my 05 I have the KYB shocks in medium stiffness ride grade and they have been awesome and have been on for way longer than any shock I have ever ran, I think these have about 50-60K on them and still ride good.

Every vehicle I have owned from new or near new the factory OEM shocks usually last about 60K miles on average.

If it is just a leveling kit standard shocks are generally rated for up to 1.5-2 inches over stock height.

• Like 1

thanks for all the suggestiongs guys! i ended up getting rancho rs5000's all the way around. i got a good deal at rockauto along with a mail in rebate through rancho. i put them in over the weekend and i am very pleased.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

thanks for all the suggestiongs guys! i ended up getting rancho rs5000's all the way around. i got a good deal at rockauto along with a mail in rebate through rancho. i put them in over the weekend and i am very pleased.

Sorry to revive this old thread. scummins, did you happen to have part numbers for the ranchos you got? I am going to start looking for some shocks on the old truck. I have a 2.5in leveling kit on my truck and want to make sure I get the right shocks.