• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine oil testing

Where is the most reliable place to send in oil to have it tested? I have never done it before and would like to start checking it every so often. Is there any other fluids that should be tested?

Thanks!

I have done the antifreeze flush but not the break system or diffs

Antifreeze should be done every 30k miles. I try to do the brakes every couple years and its a good idea to rebuild the calipers right away when you do that. A lot of people try to do the gear boxes once every year or two depending on how you use the truck and how much. As for oil labs, I have heard good things about Oil anilyzers Inc, and I think fleetgaurd has a program now too.

• Like 1

• Staff

AH- which kit do you use from them?

I use the prepaid UPS kit, I prefer the tracking option.

Polaris or Blackstone Labs are my favorites.

I have never used Polaris, but I was never pleased with Blackstone and they charge extra for TBN.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like titan laboratories. They sell a sampler valve that you just plug a needle (ball pump needle) into with the engine running. (1/8 in pipe on the engine side). Get a clean sample every time. Their analysis is much more detailed than most others.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little off topic, it was brought up about fluid change intervals. I just put in a 6speed, what fluid & how much does it take to refill?

Thanks,

Dave

If it is a NV5600 then you have to use the full synthetic 5w30 synchromesh. Most manuals can just take gear oil or whatever but because of the synchros in the NV5600's they require the special stuff. I think the refill is about 7 quarts but I am not sure on that.

If it is a NV5600 then you have to use the full synthetic 5w30 synchromesh. Most manuals can just take gear oil or whatever but because of the synchros in the NV5600's they require the special stuff. I think the refill is about 7 quarts but I am not sure on that.

Is the NV5600 the 6 speed? Mines a out of a 2001. Thank you, Dave

We used to call the synchromesh transmissions in my Hot Rod neighborhood growing up synchrosmash! That's how my buddies used to shift them too! :-)

• Like 1

Is the NV5600 the 6 speed? Mines a out of a 2001. Thank you, Dave

We used to call the synchromesh transmissions in my Hot Rod neighborhood growing up synchrosmash! That's how my buddies used to shift them too! :-)

The NV5600 is indeed the 6 speed. The NV4500 would be the 5 speed.

• Like 1