• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injectors and Turbo upgrade

So I'm on to the next upgrade in the Pearl. I want to upgrade the turbo and the injectors. As of current I have the stock turbo and the stock injectors in er.

I'm looking to get more ponies to the ground, better take off, better mpg's, and just better overall performance. I have upgraded to an Air Dog II 165 already, so my VP is getting plenty of that sweet nectar it loves so much.

So let's hear some of your combos and how they work for you please!

Thanks, Mick

If your just looking to get more out of the "Pearl" I think I would look into a smarty or an edge comp. The Smarty is great for the bottom end grunt power and the Edge Comp is great for the top end. As for the sticks I've gone as large as 75hp on an HX35w turbo. I wouldn't do more than the RV275's on the HY35 turbo because of the exhaust housing discharge is only a 9cm. Do you know what turbo you have in it now? HX or HY?

Ask me in 2 months after I get my super b :) ...as long as nothing else breaks on my truck. 60s are good, and mileage improves a little bit with normal driving habits. Although, I always wonder about 100s, what if? They just sound that much better. Is your tranny built to support the power? FYI, right now my billet single disc is slipping and I have to upgrade to a triple disc converter. That's with +60hp injectors, edge comp and a slightly modified stock turbo. Like Mulcher said, a programmer or box will do more for you right now. I did injectors first which gave a nice little bump in everything, then a timing box a couple months later and it tied all my mods together and that was biggest seat of the pants gain. In short, an edge comp or smarty for $600 or $700, vs a turbo (at least $1100) and injectors (at least $400).  

What do you want to make HP wise? Do you just dd it or does it pull a bunch? 100's are awesome for power, and do very well on fuel IF you can keep your foot out of it. For a stock turbo though, they deliver WAY too much fuel.

John why the super B? It says it'll only support to 425hp. Why not bump up to a 62mm? 

Stock like spool, so little lag and smoke and good for normal driving. It supports more than 425 hp, realistically 500 on the top end, which is a number I don't intend to exceed with my truck. I don't sled pull or race, so I don't need the extra flow on the top. Allows possibility of twins down the road, if I ever decide to seek 500 or 600 hp. And, as a last resort, (I've played this game before and lost, surging w/my WH1C), HTT or a local machine shop can machine the compressor housing for a 60 or 62 wheel. The biggest thing is it gives me something to dream about and then I get to work on my truck and gain power and efficiency without compromising economy or driveability. That's my rationalization. I know some of the members here have run super bs, maybe they'll chime in. 

• Like 1

Honestly I don't have a HP number in mind. My truck is my DD and I tow a boat or camper on occasion. My injectors are stock and I'm less than 5k from 200K miles, so I think I will at least do injectors soon. Tuner would be good I just thought maybe some sticks a better turbo would be better.

I'm not sure what my stock turbo is, to be honest I haven't even looked.

I am very happy with my recent 275 injector & H ex turbo upgrade. With that many miles on your truck, I think that new injectors are in order. Might as well upgrade to +40 hp. The HX turbo does spool quite a bit better than the H why that originally came in my truck.

MoparDave,

'01 and '02 automatic trucks have the HY35. '98.5-'00 autmatics, and all standard trans trucks have the HX35.

The HY35 has a 9cm exhaust housing, while the HX has a 12cm housing. The smaller housing means EGT's will climb faster when more fuel is thrown at the fire.

Since you have a 47RE, that is what needs to be addressed first. Is it completely stock? If so, you're going to need to throw some money into so it will hold the power you're wanting to throw at it.

Since you have a 47RE, that is what needs to be addressed first. Is it completely stock? If so, you're going to need to throw some money into so it will hold the power you're wanting to throw at it.

Thanks for the info.

I just had my transmission rebuilt. It is basically stock. I have a HD TransGo Shift Kit installed thats it.

I've considered the Super B as an upgrade but I'm afraid the 14cm housing would be too much for towing and I'd be watching my egt's all the time. I would agree with others at this point, get yourself a tuner and a mild set of injectors if you want more than the tuner will provide.

If your trans was rebuilt to stock specs you should really consider a performance valve body to up the line pressure as a bare minimum before going too crazy with power mods. A good quality single disc convertor would also be wise investment.

I had a new single disc converter installed, my old converter was toast. Ive been looking at valve bodies, I did the shift kit to help with firmer shift points and helped open the port to allow fluid to run to the converter while in park.

I'm not looking for massive power upgrades, I just want less lag for take off and better overall performance.

I think injectors at least, and possibly a tuner for now. If I decide to go bigger and badder I will upgrade the tranny more first.

So on to the next question, what is the bet brand and size injector to run for my application?

For what your looking for I think anything with a 14cm housing is going to be too laggy for your liking. The larger the turbo the more air it will move but you also have to have the right balance of fuel and rpm to keep the larger turbo lit. Kind of hard when your running at cruising speed With a load hooked.

In my opinion the variable geometry turbos are the most well rounded turbo out there for DD and towing but unfortunately they aren't exactly a bolt on application for the 2nd gens and require some fab work and a stand alone controller.

A 40-60 horse injector and a good programmer will wake your rig up like you wouldn't believe, I really think you would be happy with the combo and possibly an HX upgrade down the road. DAP is a good source for them as well as Vulcan Performance.

A 40-60 horse injector and a good programmer will wake your rig up like you wouldn't believe, I really think you would be happy with the combo and possibly an HX upgrade down the road. DAP is a good source for them as well as Vulcan Performance.

Fab work doesn't bother me but not the project I'm looking to get into yet LOL. I think injectors and programmer will be fine for now. Waking er up is all I want no need for high horsepower just yet haha :evilgrin:

Like mulcher and diesel4life said, the HY to HX upgrade really does help cool things down when injectors and programmers are thrown in the mix. With an HY35 and 60 hp injectors alone I could raise my coolant temperature to about 200 degrees, and I had a 180 t-stat... that was just merging onto the highway unloaded. For $150ish a used HX will handle added power. I had a WH1C locally so that's what I upgraded to.

Well if I am going to upgrade to the HX (which seems to be the most logical thing to keep all Temps in check) with 60HP Sticks, What if anything do I need to do to my exhaust? Will in require a different flange or will the HX bolt right up?

I have 4" turbo back to the Y pipe where it splits to 6" Stacks.