• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Baby got new shoes....

Yabba got new shoes today :thumb1:  Went with the Firestone TransForce HT post-1978-0-95295600-1402109098_thumb.jppost-1978-0-01557400-1402109101_thumb.jppost-1978-0-95246400-1402109102_thumb.jppost-1978-0-15711600-1402109105_thumb.jp Only took 3 tries to get the steering wheel straight... :doh: post-1978-0-37033400-1402109107_thumb.jppost-1978-0-29143600-1402109109_thumb.jppost-1978-0-29066900-1402109111_thumb.jp And then got a bath when we got home...post-1978-0-95446300-1402109112_thumb.jp Should be good for a few years :cool:  Next project, Injectors :thumb1:

Seems alignment / tire shops get the wheel straight about 50% of the time, I find it faster to just do it myself when I get home if they don't get it, only takes me about 2 minutes to straighten it versus the lost time waiting at the shop.

• Like 2

Those tires on the rear seem quite close together. Are they as close as they look? You don't want to have a load on and have the tires start "kissing". That causes a boom that would make you get a grip on your seat that won't want to let go! Other than that, good looking tires!

Seems alignment / tire shops get the wheel straight about 50% of the time, I find it faster to just do it myself when I get home if they don't get it, only takes me about 2 minutes to straighten it versus the lost time waiting at the shop.

My steering wheel was off by about 45* (yep real crooked) and one shop I took it to gave up! I did like you did Bill. it took me about 15 minutes to straighten in my gravel driveway....... I wish I could find a shop close to me that knew how to align these trucks.

Those tires on the rear seem quite close together. Are they as close as they look? You don't want to have a load on and have the tires start "kissing". That causes a boom that would make you get a grip on your seat that won't want to let go! Other than that, good looking tires

The do look a bit close... I had the same size installed that was on before...I guess because they took so long on the alignment and I was going to be late for teaching a class I didn't notice before I pulled out the shop... I will make sure I double check the pressure in the morning. They said they are filled with nitrous...

The do look a bit close... I had the same size installed that was on before...I guess because they took so long on the alignment and I was going to be late for teaching a class I didn't notice before I pulled out the shop... I will make sure I double check the pressure in the morning. They said they are filled with Nitrogen

Fixed it for you.  Nitros would be a very bad thing in a tire. Nitrogen is a very stable inert gas that changes very little with temp fluxtuations versus regular air. The thing is it is a sales gimmick when they fill tires with nitrogen, to do it correctly the tires need to be seated and then pulled down into a slight vacuum and then filled with nitrogen and this has to be repeated 3 times to get a near complete nitrogen charge in them, If they just charge them after initial air up bead seat there is at best 50% nitrogen in the tire. To do it correctly would be so time consuming that it is not feasible plus the amount of nitrogen one goes through to do it correctly is astronomical. Again just a saes pitch that sounds good at face value. :wink:

I have been to Michelin Off road tire service school for a week in Greenville SC just so folks don't think I am full of it. When you are dealing with tires on our mining equipment that are 50-over 100K per tire one wants to keep track of things pretty close.

• Like 2

Now, someone tell me, the laws may be the same or different for each state, but I was told you could get a nasty ticket if you cause an accident from a debris between the dual tires, because they can cause it to be shot out violently.

I was on a jobsite once and had a dump truck run through and it shot rocks from under its tire into our glass breaking them.

not sure if  a rock  coming off the tire in  Nebraska can  be blamed  on the driver,  but  I do know  a  potato  going through my windshield sure can!   We have   'cover and  restrain' your load laws..   

Bill,  ever get hit by a  sugar beet?   That'd  really mess up your day!

I had to enlist my  6 yr. old  daughter to  unscrew the  valve caps  on my inner  tires,  the  goof  tire  jockey  didn't align the holes,  and  they were offset.    Daughter was able to  get her hand  between the  tires,  and   reach the  cap.   ~ 1.5 inch  is  what my  daughter's  hand/wrist measured at the time   (I used a  dial caliper to measure)

Thank you Wild and Free :thumb1: I knew something wasn't right when I typed that last night... LOL  I slipped a disk in my back yesterday and with the pain, my brain is mush... :doh:  Or, I could just blame it on a blonde moment :thumb1:   And I agree it is a gimmick, but this place doesn't charge extra for it anyway... 

Anyone have some used spacers to sell?? I think I will be needing at least 1/2"-1" spacers...

not sure if  a rock  coming off the tire in  Nebraska can  be blamed  on the driver,  but  I do know  a  potato  going through my windshield sure can!   We have   'cover and  restrain' your load laws..   

Bill,  ever get hit by a  sugar beet?   That'd  really mess up your day!

I had to enlist my  6 yr. old  daughter to  unscrew the  valve caps  on my inner  tires,  the  goof  tire  jockey  didn't align the holes,  and  they were offset.    Daughter was able to  get her hand  between the  tires,  and   reach the  cap.   ~ 1.5 inch  is  what my  daughter's  hand/wrist measured at the time   (I used a  dial caliper to measure)

Nope, don't have beets in my area they are in the eastern side of the state closest beet farms are probably 150 miles east of me. The main thing we have that take out grills and windshields are the millions of Pheasants, grouse and partridge we have around here not to mention all the other small birds.

Rocks are always a hazard especially this time of year with all the construction going on, even if the loads are covered a lot of the end dumps and belly dumps ect. have rocks laying on edges that fall off going down the roads.

around here,  the county   'armor coats'    the  oiled roads...  they  spray down a  liquid coat of  hot oil,  and   sprinkle  small gravel on top.  run over it  a couple times with a  roller...  which  barely   sticks  the gravel down.    Lets just say   I go through at least 1 windshield per year on my various vehicles.   Gives the local  body shop plenty of  business!

They chip seal the pavement in town like that but rarely do it on open roads any more but I do see it on occasion on open roads but they have the speed limit down at 25 mph if that is the case. I have been very lucky and have had to replace more windshields "About 1 every other year or so" from being sand blasted by sand and salt from the roads in the winter time than from rock chips. Been about 10 years since I had a good sized bullseye, now typing this I will be guaranteed on in the next few days, Dam.......................... :doh:

Tire's look nice what size did you go with? Hope they did better then the last time i had a set of tire's put on at my local sear's I was the first one in the shop (Got there at 8AM/when they opened the door) had 4 285/75/R16 BF goodwrench's put on i kid you not i was there when the closed the door's 7 hour's later....7 whole friggin hour's to change 4 tire's on top of that we spent 30 mins after closing trying to start my truck...For some darn reason they unpluged both batterie's to change my tire's and forgot about it.. Then got down the road and had a terrible wabble pulled over a two wheels were barley on they forgot to tighten them down and the other 2 rim's had 4 stripped lug nut's/stud's costing me $40 dollar's a piece to replace from the dodge dealer..... I came way to close to an assult charge that day wanted to put my boot in the same place there workers head was... needless to i will never ever go back to a sear's for tire change's almost s bad as walmart nowaday's.... They look great on that dually love those wide hip's :)

• Like 1

Why, thank you Green River :thumb1:  I wasn't there quite that long.. However I was almost late in teaching my class... They do seem to ride nice and as far as I can tell the shimmy is no longer there @ 50-55 (only got up to that speed briefly due to traffic) I think I may get 1/2 " spacers and I think that should do the trick :cool:

post-1978-0-93983600-1402199216_thumb.jppost-1978-0-24695600-1402199219_thumb.jppost-1978-0-00943700-1402199221_thumb.jppost-1978-0-11047100-1402199223_thumb.jppost-1978-0-11316800-1402199225_thumb.jp

hey Yabba,   before you  get spacers,   can you   tell us  what your tire size is?   I've looked at your  pic a couple times...    I'm wondering if  the angle of the camera is  making it  look closer than  what actually is 

285/75/16's   have  been   what  I've run  for  10  years  on  our  '00,    ranging  from   Michelins,  Bfgoodrich..    and  while  they   appear   kinda close,   I've never  seen    the telltale  signs of     kissing..   (chaffing  on the inside  facing wall)   I run   treadwrights,  and  a  recapped tire is the last  thing that needs   extra   heat/rubbing!

geez,  I'd sure think you'd be just fine then!    Same set up here,  and  no problems

SCRATCH  my  post above...   I swear  I  have a mild form of  dyslexia..

I have   235  85  16's  too

Sorry bout that!

Edited by rancherman
  • Like 1