• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Jumping out of Fifth

It did it about 6 months ago and I just shrugged it off. Yesterday it jumped out twice, It has new oil in it. When I bought the truck it just had fifth gear fixed to keep it from falling off. I am thinking they welded it on because sometimes you shift and its smooth and other times its mushy and does not feel like its all the way in. What I do is go to neutral and back to fifth and it feels right then. Can this be a easy fix or just can it and get another trans, it has 294k on it.
If can it who would you recommend ?

Oh boy, more problems, I need to now learn about the manual transmissions. They would have to be better then the automatics. A mopar cummins guy in my area said they are cheap to rebuild at least compared to the 6-speeds!

Dave

Does it do it  (pop out)   on  deceleration?   if  so,   this is  PROBABLY   a syncro ring....  and in your case,    not too bad to fix.  Trans  can  stay in place,  and  fixed from the rear...   and  fairly  cheap.    I think   1 ring  is  ~ 30 bucks?

If  you find it welded....   stop right where you are,  and  get it replaced or fixed right..   I've never heard of  a welded unit lasting very long..

Edited by rancherman

Not really deceleration, about mid way, just kinda coasting. I say welded I really don't know, all I know is sometime it goes right in and sometimes it is mushy and does not feel like the rest of the gears.
It has it has about 110k since it was worked on so it may not be welded. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are there shift detents in these transmissions? I rebuilt a 5 speed out of a neon that had bad shift detents and it would jump out of gear all the time too. Just a spring loaded ball that the shift forks kind of lock into when you shift into gear. If that spring wears out or breaks it wont help hold the shift fork in place.

• Like 1

Are there shift detents in these transmissions? I rebuilt a 5 speed out of a neon that had bad shift detents and it would jump out of gear all the time too. Just a spring loaded ball that the shift forks kind of lock into when you shift into gear. If that spring wears out or breaks it wont help hold the shift fork in place

yes.  shift rods, ball and detent, shift forks.

I had  a  trans  that  felt mushy too,  turns out the  ball  was gone,  and the spring  was   all smashed up, catching on the detent pocket...

Don't ask me where the ball  disappeared to!

Edited by rancherman
  • Like 1