• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo Upgrade

What would be the next step up for a turbo with out spending a bunch of crazy money on one? I have the HX35, which I believe its the stock turbo. Would like something that maybe spools a little faster also.

I have RV 275s and an Edge EZ. Going up a grade and getting into the throttle I can see 1100 on my EGTs, and that's with nothing behind it. I have a 1800 lb trailer that I occasionally pull and it got to 1150, and held there for a second or two but that's it. I figured it was time for a little better turbo with the upgrades, especially if ever pull anything heavier. I'm not looking for a powerhouse turbo, just a little cooler EGTs.

My EGT Probe is installed Pre-Turbo.

What is this HX40 Hybird that I hear about?

Thanks,

Edited by kedlin88

You will not find a faster spooling turbo than your HX35 and you are 100% totally safe at those temps and have nothing to worry about. With an EZ and 275 sticks you are as safe as it gets. Any bigger turbo and you will spool a lot slower and you will see higher egts with your set up due to lack of fuel to spool a bigger turbo.

You could look into HX35 hybrids with different exh housing but that would be about as far as I would take it on your rig.

Any upgrade should be to retire the EZ and get a comp instead.

• Like 4

What boost pressure should I be running with stock intercooler boots and no head studs? I blow quit a bit of smoke when the EZ is on the highest setting, until the turbo spools up and cleans it out.

That's what I wanted to hear on the EGT temps!!! There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on what a safe EGT is. If I don't have to buy a turbo, I don't want too.

Cruising on the interstate at 65mph, I'm at about 1900rpm and 550 EGTs, boost is at 5-6psi. It only gets up that high when the converter is locked and I'm at or higher then mid throttle.

Edited by kedlin88

The stock head gasket and bolts will hold about 10-15 psi more boost than the HX35 is safely capable of even if you did have enough fuel to run it that high, generally 40 psi is the safe limit of the stock head gaskets, anything over that and you could develop issues. But the stock boots can let go at or before 40 psi, always a good idea to run over all the clamps about once a year to make sure they are tight.

The stock HX35 is good to about 30 psi before it is out of its rated MAP. 30-35+ psi and you are making it unhappy

For a low price it isn't worth the minimal gain. I've played with my WH1C (HX35 essentially), and I had surging from the larger compressor, and the larger turbine housing didn't gain much for $200. Best bet is stay stock or invest about $1000 for an s300 or super b style. I did the HY35 to WH1C (HX35 size) swap, which helped my top end and could handle my mods. Then an aftermarket wastegate, which wasn't worth the $100. I was trying to do a budget turbo upgrade as well, but by the time I took my turbo out 3-4 times and the money I invested in minor upgrades, I could have bought a super b...But my current set-up handles my mods well, I just wish I had gone with a super b from the get-go, from a financial and performance stand point.

I have the same turbo you have and I'm in the middle of doing the HE351 upgrade. Now for myself I was able to find the turbo for $200 the down pipe for $70 and the hot air charge pipe from DAP $190. This turbo is capable of 450 - 500hp and 45lb of boost. There is a whole 70+ page thread on the CF forum about these turbos and how well they work.

The other alternative is an HX35/40 hybrid. Bob at BAE.com can get you a cartridge and compressor housing for about $450. Then you take your turbo apart and have the exhaust housing opened up to handle the new exhaust turbine. This will be a direct re-install without any modifications or extra pieces. 

But have you tried kicking your truck out of overdrive on the hills? I know I have an auto and climbing a good grade (6%) I kick mine out of overdrive and do 60 up the hill and never brake 900* and that's with my Edge comp on 5x2 and Smarty on 4. Now with a 8500lb trailer behind me I'll see 1100-1200 same power levels but a speed is about 50-55. 

I have the same turbo you have and I'm in the middle of doing the HE351 upgrade. Now for myself I was able to find the turbo for $200 the down pipe for $70 and the hot air charge pipe from DAP $190. This turbo is capable of 450 - 500hp and 45lb of boost. There is a whole 70+ page thread on the CF forum about these turbos and how well they work.

The other alternative is an HX35/40 hybrid. Bob at BAE.com can get you a cartridge and compressor housing for about $450. Then you take your turbo apart and have the exhaust housing opened up to handle the new exhaust turbine. This will be a direct re-install without any modifications or extra pieces. 

But have you tried kicking your truck out of overdrive on the hills? I know I have an auto and climbing a good grade (6%) I kick mine out of overdrive and do 60 up the hill and never brake 900* and that's with my Edge comp on 5x2 and Smarty on 4. Now with a 8500lb trailer behind me I'll see 1100-1200 same power levels but a speed is about 50-55. 

You had your turbine housing machined and a larger wheel put on?

You had your turbine housing machined and a larger wheel put on?

No the exhaust housing has to be machined to 63.5mm. The compressor wheel comes with the cartridge (center section of the turbo) and you need to buy the correct compressor housing from Bob.

I just finished the  351 swap and it is a pretty awesome turbo! It is a pita to make your own charge pipe but the one from DAP solves that issue. It spools just like the HX but has a lot more air to give on the top end. It never runs out of air like the HX does. 

• Owner

+50HP injectors and HX35W turbo without a issue of EGT's or other wise. Good quick spool up and good power. EGT's are more of a sign of drag and other issues rarely does extra boost fix higher EGT's. but it depends on the issues behind the high EGT's. Like my trip up to Sandpoint to see Hex0rz I typically ran about 550*F on flat ground and no more than 800*F climbing a 7% grade rarely ever got over 10 PSI of boost the entire trip. My Edge Comp is set for 5x3 and ran good nearly smoke free.

Just food for thought.

• Owner

I wish my egts were that low! The injectors keep the motor good and toasty :doh:

More I keep studying the EGT's are a sign of lost efficiency. Brake drag, transmission loss, oversized tires, excessive speed, etc. Even towing the RV 750-800*F at 55 MPH and keeping below 1,200*F on 7% grades. Like I said it not the turbo but the drag. Why is it I can do so well with 3" exhaust, +50HP injectors, no cold air intake, etc... Keep you thinking...