• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost Elbow Question

Thats exactly what I did yesterday. I made a plug with a schrader valve and pressurized. I only went to 20psi though. when I pressurized it it leaked off in approx. 20 seconds. I removed the elbow and plugged it because pf the bleeder but still losing pressure and cant hear or see leak. Is it safe to pressurize to 35?

Ok did a little testing on the way home from work. Rolling down the highway at 60mph if I floor it I get 30psi 1100 EGT at 2800 rpm. At a dead stop if I floor it I get 28 psi 1100 EGT at 2600 rpm. This is all with wastegate plugged.

• Owner

You got to hold constant air to the system. Just like my video I hook up a regulated air hose to the system and leave it hooked up. Not like inflating a tire and expecting to hold air. There is all kinds of natural air leaks like past the rings so it will never hold air. That why you hook up to a constant air source.

You got to hold constant air to the system. Just like my video I hook up a regulated air hose to the system and leave it hooked up. Not like inflating a tire and expecting to hold air. There is all kinds of natural air leaks like past the rings so it will never hold air. That why you hook up to a constant air source.

I'm an idiot Mike.  You're absolutely right.  It never even occurred to me until I read the words on the screen. Thanks, time to start over.

• Like 1

With my set up if I stand on it I can hold 35psi till I have to pull my foot out of it (EGT's ). On stock sticks with out an Edge Comp just on the Smarty I could only hit about 28-30psi and maintain. For your set up I thing your probably good.

With my set up if I stand on it I can hold 35psi till I have to pull my foot out of it (EGT's ). On stock sticks with out an Edge Comp just on the Smarty I could only hit about 28-30psi and maintain. For your set up I thing your probably good.

Yeah you're right on the money.  I went low tech and just put a wrench on every clamp and then re-torqued the intake bolts and that took care of the problem. Probably had several leaks but it's good now. I'm getting 28-30psi and it maintains a lot better.

Definitely not trying to hijack anyones thread, but i have a question closely related. I have the hx35 on my truck with an afe wastegate actuator set to 38ish, and my edge jwa is set to 40 but when i wot i can only get around 25psi of boost. does this mean i have a leak?? or is there another reason??

Definitely not trying to hijack anyones thread, but i have a question closely related. I have the hx35 on my truck with an afe wastegate actuator set to 38ish, and my edge jwa is set to 40 but when i wot i can only get around 25psi of boost. does this mean i have a leak?? or is there another reason??

I agree with TFaoro if you have high EGT's then you have a boost leak. If your EGT's are running low then there may not be a leak you may not have enough fuel to push it that high. I would also check your MAP sensor and make sure the edge is hooked in so you get the boost fooling. With out it you can have a defueling issue going on. 

On the HX35 don't push it past 35psi or you will be out of the mapping. 

• Like 1

I agree with TFaoro if you have high EGT's then you have a boost leak. If your EGT's are running low then there may not be a leak you may not have enough fuel to push it that high. I would also check your MAP sensor and make sure the edge is hooked in so you get the boost fooling. With out it you can have a defueling issue going on. 

On the HX35 don't push it past 35psi or you will be out of the mapping. 

When my MAP sensor came unhooked it didn't feel like it fueled at all. I could be wrong, but I don't think it will fuel at all with a bad connection.

When my MAP sensor came unhooked it didn't feel like it fueled at all. I could be wrong, but I don't think it will fuel at all with a bad connection.

If it comes undone it should throw a CEL but if its just loose it could cause defueling or other problems.

I dont drive my truck during the week so ill definitely check it out today, but i dont think my egt's have ever gotten that high, what should be average? Ill check on the MAP connections here in a few to, thanks guys