• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard start and more smoke

Over the last few months my trucks has randomly had a long crank to start issue. Only has happen maybe 4 times. It usually takes less then a second and shes running. But when this long crank happens it usually takes between 3 and 4 seconds to start. This always happens after the tuck has been sitting for at least over night.

Also the last few days I have noticed a light gray colored smoke coming from my stacks when I step on it. My truck is completely stock as far as turbo injectors or chips go and I have never before made smoke (which is how I want it ti stay haha) But the last few days it seems to smoke more.

Are these two issues related? What should I be looking for as far as problems go? Is the smoke normal on a truck with 197K miles?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Have you scanned it for codes? That would be my first thing to do and see if there is something to point you in the right direction.

I have not scanned it, I am hopefully going to do that today.

With that many miles on the stock injectors, I wonder if some of them are hanging open? That might explain the smoke.

Injectors were my first thought but I wasn't sure if they would make this impact.  I was planning on replacing them soon as it is.

I used my buddies scanner and pulled up 2 codes. I got a P1693 coder and a P0460 code.

The P1693 code says it's a companion code? But not sure what that means

THe P0460 code is a fuel level sensor A circuit fault. Probablt explains my malfunctioning fuel gauge sensor that I just havn't gotten around to fixing LOL :doh:

There is no check engine light on, nor has there been in a long time. I scanned it 3 times and only got those two codes so I'm not too sure what to look at next.

The P1693 code is just a code that says you have a code in the ECM. it really doesn't mean much for you. What you are describing may be injectors, VP44, or your crank/cam sensor (causing timing issues).

The P1693 code is just a code that says you have a code in the ECM. it really doesn't mean much for you. What you are describing may be injectors, VP44, or your crank/cam sensor (causing timing issues).

That would make sence. Ive been reading that the P1693 code is like you said saying that there is a fault in the ECM, just not specific. It is usually paired with another code, But I only pull that code on the scanner.

• Owner

I tend to agree the white smoke is possibly a injector issue. I would consider having them pop tested to see where your at. Typically its a free test.

• Like 1

I tend to agree the white smoke is possibly a injector issue. I would consider having them pop tested to see where your at. Typically its a free test.

Mike, I had plans of replacing my injectors in the very near future. It's actually the next upgrade on my long list of stuff to do. I was hoping to wait till I could get my new turbo and injectors together but if the smoke issue is pointing at a possible faulty injector I would just assume get them replaced with new ones now.

Could the smoke issue and the very intermitten hard start issue be related? And possily replacing the injectors could solve both issue together??

Thanks again guys.

• Owner
I was hoping to wait till I could get my new turbo and injectors together but if the smoke issue is pointing at a possible faulty injector I would just assume get them replaced with new ones now.

I'm just saying test them to rule out any injector issues. This why I'm just suggest the test so we can rule out causes of why its smoking. You might just replace them and not gain anything or make the problem worse. This why testing is best before just through money and parts at any problem.

• Like 1

I'm just saying test them to rule out any injector issues. This why I'm just suggest the test so we can rule out causes of why its smoking. You might just replace them and not gain anything or make the problem worse. This why testing is best before just through money and parts at any problem.

I agree with you on testing, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. 

How does one go about getting injectors tested?

• Like 1

So  found a place local that does free pop testing on injectors. I'm gonna pull them next week and bring them down.

Ive never pulled my injectors, I have watched the video many times though. What if any thing will I need to replace when I put them back in (Granted they are OK).