• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What is it?

While installing my Battery Cable [battery to Starter] I noticed a round object about four inches in diameter and eight inches long, attached to the engine block in front and above the starter. I can not figure out what this is. I looked in my Haynes repair manual and there is nothing about it. Does any one with a Dodge/Cummins 1998.5 24v have this part or know what it is. 

Thank you Michael for the reply but It is not the stock lift pump which I replaced with a FASS DDRP three years ago. The length of this tube is horizontal and quite dirty with oil. I am thinking that it may be some sort of puke bottle. It is hard for me to figure out as there is much talk about the 1998 and the 1999 but very little information about the 1998.5 cummins. I think that there is little talk about the 1998.5 because there were stilld working out the kinks and changes or improvements were made in the 1999. Any thoughts anyone has would be helpful.

• Like 1

• Owner

Wasn't there a TSB that addressed the crank case vent and prescribed a vent comming out of the tappet cover?

There was but I've never heard of a 4" diameter can being added to the system too. Pictures would solve this quickly.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/29-tsb-technical-service-bulletins/44-tsb-09-002-02-oil-overflow-from-the-front-crankcase-breather

• Like 1

Hawkez, No I did not. It,s been hot and very humid here in my part of Alabama and the family went camping. When I am home alone I usually stay inside as the humidity and head is not very compatable with my medications. They will be back friday pm and then I will figure something out.