• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto transmission article

The only problem I have with those type fixes is the truck ran and did fine for the first five plus years. Now you need to modify the wiring in some way to 'fix' the problem. In my opinion you should find the root cause and fix that. Chances are his problem is the alternator putting out AC voltage. If you go to any auto parts store I bet you can find quite a few reman alternators that leak AC voltage. That filter that was "the fix" years ago just gave one side of the AC wave someplace else to go instead of the electronics.

• Like 1

• Staff

At 85 k miles I've not had the hunt except for one time. I simply zip tied the wire harness going over the ALT. so it's not touching the alt. housing.

Later I discovered some grounding resistance thru the alternator mounting bracket ground. Read a couple articles about a small benefit to grounding the alternator housing directly to the neg. battery post. Just used one of the alt housing nuts on the back for a connection and have never experienced any more transmission hunting. That's not to say it won't start hunting in the future sometime as this may only be a partial fix.

• Like 1