• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re slip and 2-3 shift downshift clunk noise

Hello, I just finished rebuild my 47re on my 2001 dodge ram 4x4 cummins diesel. What I have done: I changed all the piston servo with billet aluminum ones. put a transgo diesel shift kit, alto red eagle clutches, changed front and rear bands. A new torque converter and changed the cooler lines.    The transmission shift in all position but it's like slipping . When I'm starting from a stop when cold I need more throttle to move the truck and when it's warm it's less slipping.  I put a gauge on line pressure and in drive not moving I see 80psi but when I go on throttle the psi doesnt increase? is it normal?    I'm thinking of throttle pressure adjustment on the valve body???   For my other problem  when it shifts 2-3 and downshift  I heard a clunk noise .  I'm thinking of front band adjustment .  Now its set 1 7/8- 2  turns.  Do I go to 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 ???.   I have 4.2 lever ratio ...    

If someone can Help me with my problems    Thank you     Francis   

Could be valve body or APPS/throttle linkage related. I tried to install a transgo shift kit and I botched it somehow... Just what you said, It felt the the torque converter was slipping all the time. Come to find out, my TV cable was disconnected, which I'm sure didn't help, after that I just dropped my truck off at the tranny shop for a rebuild. The builder went through the valve body and fixed whatever I screwed up, which I'm guessing is the culprit. 

Yeah John I was thinking of a valve body problem, For the TV cable it's all connected but I'm talking the throttle pressure screw on the valve body. I have a good slack on tv cable before I have little resistance when I move by hand.  I made tool for adjusting the TV pressure  with 5/8 inch .    I need to flush my oil that's the bad thing ...    

Thanks guys I'll try to find out what's happen and tell you the final result!      If I can't find . I,m gonna go to tranny shop if they can help me.           Francis 

Hello Ed. What I'm talking is the throttle pressure screw on the valve body. The adjustment on the arm that push the throttle valve.  The cable I can adjust it properly.     I have one book that said you need tool to adjust it like throttle valve IN and space of 5/8 inch between valve and arm...   

Thanks again guys for the help!!

Francis

Hello guys!   John was right.  I recheck my valvebody  and the cause of slipping was  I misunderstand The R hole on transgo shift kit.  Low/reverse hole.  I had no check ball.  So I put a 1/4 check ball there.  Other thing I forgot to put the spring on the 4 land switch valve .....   So Take your time installing shift kit and it's a good thing to take a camera during process to remember what goes where!!  

I found my other problem for the clunk/grinding noise,  I change the syncro keys kit  on my np241dhd transfer case and the problem is in 2H  when I,m driving when I take bump, decelareting and fast on throttle right after or just braking rapidly I here a clunk  grinding noise like a gear!   I have no drive shaft in front so I try in 4lo and 4hi .  In 4x4 everything drive fine. I drive it 4hi lot more and nothing bad no sound .  it's only in 2H   that noise.  I don't know what it could be.  I don't want to remove the transfer case another time!!  If someone had the same problem or help me with that for pin point the trouble .     Thanks   Francis

• 1 month later...