• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Annoying squeek in steering column starting to get to me

• Staff

Had my 02 now for 7,8 years and never been able to stop the rough road squeak coming from the steering column. I think that's the source, but, difficult to pinpoint except that the squeak slows down/ almost goes away when I push forward on the auto trans shift lever.

I think this is why this truck was available/ very low miles at the time of purchase. Squeek did not bother me then but now seems like my ears are on auto focus.

Is there a bushing or something that can wear out on the shift linkage? I am just trying to think of what moving parts are inside the column. Something with the tilt maybe? You could pull the black plastic covers off the column and drive it for a little while. Might be able to pin point the noise better that way.

• Staff

Thank you. That's an idea and moving the tilt too. To see if squeak changes.

I don't think it's a worn bushing as the truck came with this squeak with only 29 k miles.

I took the covers off before looking for something but chickened out on spraying any oil inside there.

Would it hurt wiring or anything to spray some lube down the column tube?

• Staff

I know your kidding..... I would like the straight thru piping Bart but, I live in this very quiet area with nothing but dead end roads. Folks love the peace around here...all end of the road kinda' folks. Even though we are farther apart due to acreages we all enjoy, the canyons and hills seem to make everything echo or reverberate around here.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1