• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ph monitoring of coolant?

I add a can of Wix coolant supplement when I change coolant. But I've been told I should monitor the coolant ph level with test strips. Is this something that you guys do? Thing that makes me concerned is the bottom disc in my high dollar cummins thermostat fell off and was just sitting in the hole below the thermostat. Corrosion cause this failure? Was only in for a year or so.

I  check  my engines  maybe   1 time in their lives..  LOL,    I usually  have  a   hose break,  or   radiator leak..   so   I  probably   'turn over'  my  antifreeze  pretty quick.

I have  however,   started spending the extra  bucks  for   pre mixed  antifreeze.   At first  I thought...  shoot,  MY water is   cheaper than   what's coming in the  jugs.,,     I have very high nitrate levels  in our  well water..    Not  so much  dissolved  minerals,   But  nitrates  as you know are  an acid (salt)   

I just flushed mine last month when I put a hole in my radiator and I used Peak Global Lifetime. It's an OAT formula that meets ASTM3306 (98.5-02 specs). Although I will definitely NOT buy into the lifetime fill I can certainly see doubling my service intervals. I will do annual ph tests to confirm this but I am tired of going through the hassle of changing every two years when there is better technology out there.

I buy the full strength formula but also buy distilled water for flushing and filling.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Faw%2Fd%2FB000MIUJMO%3Fpc_redir%3D1410588104%26robot_redir%3D1&rct=j&q=engine%20coolant%20ph%20test%20strips&ei=Y6EVVNK3FsTjsASFl4HwAQ&usg=AFQjCNHsbn8npRIQQN1c17mUFrTgksfgQw&sig2=VnNEUlQziPmdjJG0rbrV7w&bvm=bv.75097201,d.cWc

• 1 month later...

I add a can of Wix coolant supplement when I change coolant. But I've been told I should monitor the coolant ph level with test strips. Is this something that you guys do? Thing that makes me concerned is the bottom disc in my high dollar cummins thermostat fell off and was just sitting in the hole below the thermostat. Corrosion cause this failure? Was only in for a year or so.

You remember if the rod that held the bottom stopper had signs of erosion/corrosion that separated the disk? or just a poor riveting from factory?

I'm like mike, I usually replace a pump, fix a radiator, or hose, seems like at least 1 time a year.. and I always put new coolant in..

I'd think for the 'normal' people, (where nothing ever breaks, leaks...) LOL I'd test every other year. (50-75k miles)

You remember if the rod that held the bottom stopper had signs of erosion/corrosion that separated the disk? or just a poor riveting from factory?

I'm like mike, I usually replace a pump, fix a radiator, or hose, seems like at least 1 time a year.. and I always put new coolant in..

I'd think for the 'normal' people, (where nothing ever breaks, leaks...) LOL I'd test every other year. (50-75k miles)

Didnt see any corrosion. I think it was a bad crimp on the thermostat. Sad for a $75 unit. You'd expect more.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 04Mach1

Cummins does not require the use of molybdate or nitrites in an ISB due to it being a paparent bore engine. I however run Shell Rotella Ultra ELC. It is nitrite free and is electrolysis resistant. It's rates for 600k miles in a class 8 truck.

More accurate to send samples in for analysis the same as you do UOA samples. That way you know if there are suspended solids or it is beginning to become burnt if the mixture is correct or needs additives ect.

Makes no sense to extend oil life and then throw your money away on antifreeze by unnecessary changing of it.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsys2/xml/en/bulletin/3666132.html

i thought that was a good read....

https://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/emea_brochures/LI33030-GB.pdf

same with that.

cummins has changed thier recommendations on coolant. the first link on it cam straight from cummins quick serve for my esn.

• Like 1