Jump to content

Pureflow Raptor - bracket bolts seized.. and now stripped


Recommended Posts

Hey guys,
 
Long story short..  bought a Raptor 100 last year.. mounted it to the frame, but then never finished the install.  Stock lift pump died recently, so I need to finish the install.  
 
Went to connect the fuel lines today and realized I need to mount the pump in a different location..  unbolted the brackets fine, but I also need to reposition the pump on the backplate (put the spacer in).  When I attempted to unbolt the pump from the backplate, I realized the bolts are seized.  Instead of being patient and giving it a good soaking of PB Blaster, I tried to force the issue and stripped the bolts.
 
I have a feeling I'm SOL at this point..  I've tried mounting the brackets as is in a few different locations, but they're all no go without the spacer.  I'm hoping someone might have some ideas?  Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic, so I don't have the ability or know-how to drill and tap, or anything like that...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drill them out until the heads pop off. Then vise grips. Usually just the head of the bolt is seized to the bracket

There's a reason I come on these forums!  ha.  Was so frustrated, I didn't even think of that.  I'll give it a go tomorrow.  Thanks man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Success!! Thanks guys.

Was able to drill them down and pop the heads off with a flathead and a 2lb. mallet. (Not without some drama though.. drilled them out and then tried to remove the bolts with a reverse bit, and snapped the tip of the bit off inside!! Can't drill that!).

Put the spacer in and bolted it back up.. Ran the lines.. What a BEEYOTCH getting the stock suction hose off the top of the tank!!! Finally had a buddy help me and we got 'er. Got everything hooked up and went to prime the system.. Bumped the key 4-5 times and still nothing. Strange..? Finally decided to put my finger over the end of the hose and it was sucking air... Waitaminute... I reversed the in/out lines! Switched them back and primed and this time diesel came spitting out after 3 seconds or so.. I wasn't expecting so much flow and didn't have a catch pan ready.. Sprayed diesel all over the place (including a nice splash in my face!) before I finally decided just to let it shoot down onto the ground. Bolted everything back up.. Bled the line to the fuel pressure gauge and had my wife crank it while I bled the air out of injector lines 1 & 3. Started right up and was purring like a kitten.

Fuel pressure was only 8 psi at first so I turned it up with the screw.. Sitting at 16-17psi at idle now, and drops to 15 when I floor it. Needless to say, I'm happy i finally got it all done! Even happier that I managed to do it myself... the mishaps just enhanced the learning experience!

Now what can I fix....?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did the same thing when I first put my raptor on too. I just wanted to make sure the pump was going to work before I hooked all the lines up and holy cow!! Wasn't expecting that much fuel to all come out at once. Did you use 1/2 lines or??

Yeah 1/2" lines all the way from the tank to the VP44 now..  it was pretty funny in hindsight!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool. I did 3/8's lines all the way when I did mine. I built my full system from scratch because I could get all the pieces a lot cheaper than buying the kit at the time. Looking back I really should have done the 1/2in lines. I have a pretty good pressure drop from idle to WOT now but maybe someday when I have enough money to upgrade to a mechanical pump, I will just do the entire system again. I do have a fuel tank sump I am going to install soon. I am hoping that will help with some of my pressure drop issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...