• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Slight Rattle when towing heavy load ?

I was moving Hay Rolls yesterday and when on the freeway I could hear a rattle kind of like a gasser pinging under heavy throttle. When I reached the top of the hill the rattle stopped. I was running 55-6- mph. I am curious wondering about Injectors. I run 2 cycle oil from Wallmart @10z. per gallon but I filled up at the half tank mark but did not add the @ cycle oil. Could this be causing the pinging/ rattle? Or might I need to adjust the valves. Theres 202K on the clock.

TFaoro, My miss print, One Ounce per Gallon of Diesel. I am not sure about the valves but will do soon.

CTcummins24valve.Between 1500-2000  rpm. with excess of twenty pounds fuel pressure and eighty pounds oil pressure. Pulling about six tons total.

Using any injector cleaners or cetane boosters too? I know you using 2 cycle oil but a lot of people love to play mad scientist and mix things with the 2 cycle oil.I did put some  

I did put some {seafoam}? in to clean up my injectors but only the proper amount as stated on the bottle along with a full tank of diesel. Would this cause a problem?

• Owner

I did put some {seafoam}? in to clean up my injectors but only the proper amount as stated on the bottle along with a full tank of diesel. Would this cause a problem?

Because as cetane goes up the ignition time of the fuel advances (takes less time to convert from liquid to vapor to ignition). But also the BTU content goes down and the ignition pressure spikes out with a hard explosion (the ping) instead nice long push (thud).

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

Cetane improvers modify combustion in the engine. They encourage early ignition of the fuel. They encourage premature combustion and excessive rate of pressure increase in the combustion cycle.

If you want to clean you injectors there is no cleaner in a can or bottle that will clean anything in the fuel tank. Our 35 gallon fuel tanks is 4,480 ounces of fuel. Mixing in 4-16 ounces of anything in a sea of 4,480 ounces is like pissing in a pond. As for taking a injector out and soaking it in straight injector cleaner for 24 hours it will still be dirty 24 hours later. The only way you can clean then is to physically disassemble each one and clean all the parts by hand.