• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I need some advice on turbos

So I have had to work 6 day a week for the past 3 months. So I'm done with that fun. Time to start my winter project. Back ground is I have a 4.0 jeep cherekee. Daddy is use to his s330 and 150 hp injector cummins. So here my question hy35 spool harder smaller hot side 9 instead of 12 but I am building this as a trail/ mud rig. Do I run the hx or hy I'm going to run 8 psi to start then when I get my stroker I'll run 14. I know this isn't cummins but this turbo are off the 24v and I have a hx35 that I toasted I can rebuild. Next question anyone have a hy35 they want to part with

So let me understand this.  You are building a turbo 4.0.  I would go with the HY myself.  The 4.0 is a great engine, but its not cummins, you will need all the help you can get when it comes to spooling it up.  Are you doing a stroker engine, what plans do you have for fuel upgrades?  This could be an awesome build, but there needs to be a little more info.

The engine would probably be able to push it but I'm not sure about down low like you would need. One thing about gassers is they run a lot higher RPM so they will push a turbo under the right circumstances. Turbo cars have become a lot more popular at the drag strip than they ever used to be. The HE351cw is fairly popular with the small block guys but that's a whole nother application being they are looking for top end power and running high RPM. they are a lot harder to launch with, its all about timing along with a high stall trans to be able to get the turbo lit Right before the light turns.

Edited by diesel4life