• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anal or advisable transmission install?

If there are issues like this guy is talking about they will be fairly obvious when you tear everything apart. When doing clutch jobs, etc as long as you make sure your mating surfaces are clean everything will go back together like it was from the factory, which is good enough for me.

I don't do it but I see no reason you shouldn't do it either.  I mean he's beating it to death but he's being thorough to make sure everything goes together perfectly and there will be 0 chance of anything messing up.  Can't insult a guy for doing things right, even if it is insanely thorough.  

Usually those lifts have steel blocks to pin the lift so it doesn't fall on you if the hydraulic seals blow out, maybe his didn't have them so the jack stands were his failsafe.  

I learned a lot from the vid actually and if I was experiencing some issues then I now know another thing to check.  He greases stuff I never greased, this and that, it was a good video.  

• Owner

I've installed lots of clutches but never seen any of this kind of damage. I never measure and on rare time I've been known to install clutches without a alignment tool. But I always look to see if the transmission mates up with the bellhousing normally and fully before putting bolts in. I've seen people with over 2 inches to go and get longer bolts and pull the transmission in binding or not. :cookoo:

Up until   the   80's    Chrysler  engine  plant  would    machine  the  engine blocks  and  bellhousing    as  a  mated pair.    The line boring part anyways.    The    pilot hole for the rear of the   bellhousing  was  perfect inline  with the main bores  of the   engine...    Then  that  bellhousing  would      stay with the engine  through  assembly,  and final   transmission mounting.

So,    years later,   when  this engine  got separated  from   that   transmission,   swapped into  a different   vehicle,       I'd  measure the  runout    Mopar  sold  offset  dowel pins  to correct  for  variances.     I've   had to  deal  with  .030   runout  on some    Makes for a very chattery  clutch  engagement!!    So yes,     I'll measure  'that'  kind of  stuff

• Like 1