• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Miss at all RPMs

That makes me want to think there is a fuel deliery issue somewhere, but are you hearing a miss or are you hearing a lope? From what I have heard about the only thing the drilled cross over tubes do is cause a bit of a lope.

That makes me want to think there is a fuel deliery issue somewhere, but are you hearing a miss or are you hearing a lope? From what I have heard about the only thing the drilled cross over tubes do is cause a bit of a lope.

Definitely a miss! Some people say they lope - maybe with bigger injectors but not with my setup. I can hear this thing missing from 800rpm  2500 rpm+ when freewheeling. It also has a distinct "knock" like a cylinder is missing. Maybe I have an injection line that the outlet got smashed somehow?? I think I can replace the drilled out tubes 1 at a time with an "original" crossover tube and find which cylinder it is that way though.

arrggg.. :ahhh:

ya know,   I'm  going to  Holyoke  Co.   next week..     I  could  hump over to  Tfaoro's     just for the sake of  listening to it!

Come on over! I could always use some company  :thumb1:

Ok I put the normal crossover tube back into number 1 cyl and the miss is half of what it was before, so at least I've got it narrowed down to that cylinder. Any thoughts on what it could be? I'm thinking the line might be bad?

geez.  could be!    take it off and  look  closely for  kinks   Blow  through it with  compressed air both ways..   But I'd   think a bad line would be  bad no matter what the crossover tube  is in there!!

edit..  you SURE that  was  the ONLY  cylinder that was missing??    You may have only fixed  'half'  of the  miss...   What you are hearing now  may be coming from another  cylinder!

Did  the exhaust manifold heat up  faster with the different   tube?

Edited by rancherman

geez.  could be!    take it off and  look  closely for  kinks   Blow  through it with  compressed air both ways..   But I'd   think a bad line would be  bad no matter what the crossover tube  is in there!!

edit..  you SURE that  was  the ONLY  cylinder that was missing??    You may have only fixed  'half'  of the  miss...   What you are hearing now  may be coming from another  cylinder!

Did  the exhaust manifold heat up  faster with the different   tube?

No compressed air up here (college apartment), but I can pull it off and see if it's clogged at all. Maybe just the tip is screwed up I'm not sure.

I'll check the temp after starting in a couple hours. I'll make sure to feel all of em to see if multiple are bad. 

I guess I should throw my two cents in here seeing as I am the king of tracing down slite misses. lol Hey Mike this don't sound familiar. You know what it sounds like when it's hot right ? Now in the morning go out fire it up and if it is not as noticeable. Then we'll go from there.

Go out when its cool 65 degrees start it and let it idle for about 5 min. Get a ear of it, you know what it sounds like right ? Now drive it 800' or so. Listen to see if you here it starting to miss. If no miss drive 1-2 miles pull over check. You see where I am going with this right ? If it has a cracked piston or cracked block it will pass compression test all day long, I even did a blow by test and it still passed that. At some point I will guess if its like mine was you pulled a heavy load and let the egts get to high. I pulled a D4 dozer on the hwy and pulled a steep incline and that's what did it on mine. I remember the temps were 1250 1300 for a few minutes and that was just enough. I spent right at 8k tracing it down, don't bother taking it to Dodge or Cummins they wont know anything more than us right here. Believe me I spent the money thinking somebody has run across this before. I learned a whole lot about these Cummins during that ordeal. I replace 4 IP , 4 sets of injectors, two wiring harness , four crossover tubes, (by the way change them every time you replace injectors), a rebuilt head, swapped turbos with my sons truck, about 3-4 apps, 3-4 cam sensors, two ecms even put another exhaust because I thought I was going insane hearing ****. I guarantee if it will set in your drive way and sound like the best truck you ever heard idling, then miss after a short trip down the road. Go find you another eng and be done with it. 

I don't take this truck to anyone. I do everything myself as you can see by this thread. I also won't spend money on parts unless I know something is wrong.

I went out and started it as you suggested. It sounds like it starts missing as soon as it fires. Also how would a single crossover tube make such a difference?

As for the cross over tubes go if you notice when you put the injectors in the hole there is play side to side and in and out. When you tighten down on the injector the crossover tube will crush a tiny bit. The crossover tube is a soft metal and that is how it seals it's self off. You might get by one time with old tubes but if your luck runs like mine, you better get new ones. You could have a leak between the tube and injector seat. If it misses right off the bat you got something else going on other than what I described. What I do is put the injector in push crossover tube in till it seats, tighten down the injector. Install all injectors this way then tighten down crossover tubes behind intake bleed the rest and tighten them.
I sold the block with cam, pistons,crank still in it, the guy said he was making a twelve valve out of it so he pulled all the parts and just used the block. I told him if he had any issues with it to bring it back and if he found anything he said he would let me know, I never heard from him. 

I've tried brand new crossover tubes, drilled out tubes, old tubes you name it. I don't think I'm going to find this anytime soon... Maybe this weekend I'll pull all of the lines again just to make sure they are clear and the ends look good. 

Over the summer I do plan to pull the head, so I guess that's the next step.